Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I just got a hospital bed to keep me more upright. Problem is when it keeps me upright my head tilts down to my neck since I have no neck muscles. It's also like sleeping on an egg carton. The mattress has cells of air separated by space.supposed to keep pressure sores away, but it's intolerable to use. If I get to a reading position, my head flops to my heck. To prevent this I have to lower myself to the point that I'm not raised enough any more to prevent aspiration

We supported Krissy's head with pillows on either side.

We had the VA take away the air mattress and bring in a rotating pressure air mattress that kept Krissy in constant but very gentle motion. This mattress uses a computerized air compressor under the bed. Much more comfortable.

Can you use a soft neck brace or wedge under your chin to keep your head upright.

Right now I have an electronic bed. I've had it for about 5 years and bought it to watch TV since I had a bad neck for awhile. The bed is not as versatile as a hospital bed and I've had to buy a special support cushion designed for people with fibromyalgia. The rotating pressure air mattress Mike mentioned sounds like it would be a great fit.

Hi Neil,

Yes you need to have extra pillows or shaped pillows to support your neck, that's ver important. I used around 8 pillows in the bed (various shapes and sizes) to support Chris.

We had an alternating mattress, and it Chris found it incredibly comfortable.

Kim, generally you do not want anything around the chin or neck in bed, because of that pesky breathing.

Neil, we used a shoulder support pillow (Isotonics) with long/narrow microwavable heating pads (the firm kind filled with grains; our brand was Comfort Bags) on either side of Larry's neck.

An air-type mattress is not right for everyone. Ours was foam w/ a foam overlay. But you should max out the mattress with lateral neck support (e.g. the pads) and the best vertical angle for breathing before considering changing it.

Best,
Laurie

We have a hospital bed in the middle of the bedroom. Steve says it is miserable to sleep on. It is an air matress and feels like air balloons or pockets in it when you touch it. So Steve is still in our queen bed all alone. He sprawls in the middle with pillows under his head/shoulders and on either side of him. We have gel mattress topper on the ved and it lets him sleep in a couple positions with out pressure poi ts.

I have a ROHO air mattress ($189 on Amazon) and it is exactly what Steve describes -- made of air balloons or pockets. I have a mattress pad on mine and I don't feel the individual air cells! As with any air cell mattress or cushion, the comfort depends on the right amount of inflation. You are supposed to sink into it but not bottom out. Lying "in" it rather than "on" it is how it shifts air to protect against pressure. With the mattress pad I find it very comfortable and can even sleep on my side for two or three hours without shoulder or hip pain, something I could no longer do on layers of memory foam.

The air mattress that came with my husband's hospital bed is also very uncomfortable for him and he won't use it now. The air mattress is connected to a compressor that you plug in to keep it inflated. There is no way to adjust the amount of air that goes in to inflate it.

Diane, does the ROHO air mattress have the ability to adjust the amount of air?

Sharon

Yes, this ROHO is divided into three sections that are snapped together to make the mattress. Each section is inflated separately so can be different levels of firmness. The mattress comes with a simple hand pump as well as a patch kit if it should ever get punctured. I am always cold so have a heated mattress pad over the ROHO, then a sheet and turning pad.

FWIW!! I’ve a rotating air mattress which is very comfortable (generously provided by my MND Assoc)

I had a problem with a mattress that couldn’t be adjusted to my weight, it was like lying on ridges (I am very light). This mattress is set to my own weight and the interval between circulations of air is also adjustable. There’s a big difference between the two types of mattresses. Like Diane, I also have a hot pad under me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back