06/2015
Country
CA
State
BC
City
Vancouver
Hello-
I am no longer procrastinating about getting special equipment and have decided to treat myself to a fancy electric lift recliner chair (OK, extended medical is going to foot most of it, but still...). I will not be using an ALS loaner, as I intend to donate what I have when I no longer need it.

I've done a search for past reference here- both Pride and Golden get mentions. As does La z Boy. Does anyone have opinions or recommendations for brand, model or any of the bells and whistles (massage, heat)?

A friend who works in the medical supply field thinks a separate heating pad is a better idea than an in-chair heat function, which makes sense, but maybe there's a chair out there that has something extra that you've found you can't do without?

My last concern- I have a cat and two dogs. When I told my mum I was getting a chair, she referred to it as a "pet guillotine". I won't go into who my mother is and how the world looks to her, but now I am worried. They are all lovable, but ill equipped to deal with moving parts and self preservation. Is this an actual issue? Is that just crazy?

Thanks- Fiona

I have a pride, with heat and massage. Was only about $120 more. Love both functions. Dont get leather am told we may slide out once enough muscel disapears.

We have a Layzboy. Also a doxie dog that likes to sleep beside my hubby. This chair was one of the widest so they both can fit. It is leather so we don't have to worry about spills etc. from snacks. No heat or massage----heating pad works fine.

The lift mechanism is very simple and slow so your pets would have time to get out of the way. I worry more about hubby sitting on the dog.

My suggestion would be to go to a store that carries several brands and try them out. CiCi

I agree they move slowly, so little chance of chopping up a pet.

CiCi it is always best to move the chair into standing position to sit on it, then the dog would slide off before hubby starts sitting.

I agree - go test them out. It's hard to say one is better than another as you may personally find something about one brand or type suits you better. Make sure it is a good size. We had a loaner and it was amazing, no heating though. The only thing was it could have been the next size up. Chris did fit in it, but it could have been just a bit higher at the back and a little wider. Chris spent a lot of his time in this chair so checking out how you like one - be happy to sit in the chair for a while, don't just sit recline and stand up. It's amazing how different it might feel after 10 minutes.

We are still using the Golden (Maxicomforter model) as our recliner and guest bed since we don't have a couch. I would definitely recommend getting a model that has "zero gravity," pushes you forward out of the chair to get up, and allows for a lumbar stretch position (legs higher than back). Another thing I noticed in looking at the models tonight is that many have a lot of different sections in the back. Ours has only the minimum and for people w/ sensitive backs, I think that could be best.

Cat likes to jump up/down on it in any position, and no problem if it's moving. As long as your pets are not puppies or kittens and you oriented them, I think it would be fine. Ours is fabric, not leather, but seems pretty stain-resistant.

Hi Fiona

I have a rocker. The kids call in my throne, as no one else is allowed to sit in it!

I do wish that I got a lift chair, but for now I'm happy.

Our new kitten thinks it's her clawing station. We use a spray bottle of water on her whenever she attacks the chair.

Both cats love sleeping on it, so maybe I'm not the queen after all!

If you are looking to do it on the cheap, the ALS Society has loaners. These are used, but functional chairs available for free. They can even set up delivery. They have a wide variety of assistive devices for loan as well. Check it out at als.ca.
Vincent

When Darcey began to have problems getting up, we went to La-Z-Boy and got one of their chairs. She used it for several months (including having them replace the wired remote control). As some point, she found that she wasn't high enough to stand even with the help of the chair. At that point I put pads under the feet of the chair. This gave us another month before even that would not work. It was then that we moved to the Power Wheel Chair (PWC).

Jim

Thank you all very much. This has helped me make a decision about what to look for (and to confirm my original thought about the term "pet guillotine" and opinions from mothers like mine). Your reassurances about the speed of the thing puts my mind at ease. Even the simplest pet would have warning enough to get out of the way. I do foresee my largest and youngest dog being terrified of a chair that appears to change shape. Mirrors confound him already, so I imagine he'll keep a healthy distance.

Laurie- the recommendation to get an infinity/ zero gravity chair is a good one and helped me narrow it down a bit.

Vincent- I'm in the fortunate position to be able to purchase one on my own right now. I'm thinking, given my current probable diagnosis, I'll be needing it for a long time. I intend to donate when I'm done with it.

Jim- thanks for the info about raising the chair. That's useful for the future.

Find a chair that is sized to fit you, not the typical "one size fits none". Look for a newer type of chair that supports your entire leg when the footrest is up. Most models have a support gap between the thigh and the calf. That puts the weight of the leg on the calf and impedes blood flow and the risk of blood clots. A recliner that will recline flat is much better when you need to get the swelling down in your feet. A headrest that can be positioned to your height is essential for comfort!

A lift recliner seems like an obvious way to go while you can still stand or be assisted to stand but they have limitations for PALS. Recliners do not come with seat cushions that provide enough pressure relief to prevent pressure sores. The seat cushion is not removable in order to add a good pressure relief cushion such as a ROHO or a gel cushion. Putting that cushion on top of the seat cushion lifts you up and can leave your arms poorly supported. The weight of your arms will eventually cause partial dislocation (subluxation) of weakened shoulders. Although lift recliners are now available in a few sizes, they are not fitted to you and as muscles weaken they may not work well. All that said, unless you are very early in your ALS, I recommend forgetting about the temporarily useful recliner and get fitted for a power wheelchair that will be adjustable for future needs. It will prevent the need to transfer to a recliner and back, give you mobility when you can no long transfer by yourself, tilt as well as recline for better comfort, support your feet to prevent painful footdrop and maintain a correct ankle/foot angle, give you an easy way to add a tray or desk. And you will need it at some point anyway! Adding the seat lift option will let it do everything a recliner does but do it better. Medicare doesn't pay for the lift feature but spending the money you would have spent on a recliner on the lift feature would be a better choice.

Diane,
That's a good point. Right now I can walk but I have major problems sitting on hard seats. My glutes are wasted and it is irritating my sciatic nerve. I have two Stressless chairs and an ergonomic office chair with memory foam. These provide pretty good cushioning and support, especially when I use a heating pad to relax my glutes. The ergonomic chair has movable padded arm supports which help tremendously with typing since my left shoulder seems to go in and out of location (plus I have a torn rotator cuff). I did look at some lift chairs with massage but I've not tested any out. Daytona Beach doesn't have many high quality furniture stores....I'd have to go to Orlando.

Our experience was somewhat different, Diane, though I totally agree that if funds are an issue, get seat elevation on the wheelchair before the recliner.

Yes, Larry lost the ability to spend recliner time pretty soon after we got it, but it wasn't for lack of support but lack of room in the living room for the lift. He never used its arms past his elbows since his arms were flail early on, but we had foam in his lap, just as in the wheelchair. It has a somewhat smooth, airy fabric on it and the cushioning is pretty good even years later. We did get one sized for him with the extended foot rest since he was tall. If he had been in it later, we would have done what we did when he was in the wheelchair, adjusting his position/adhesion to avoid ulcers.

But the reason I hesitate to say the recliner is a waste is that he was never as comfortable in his wheelhair as in the recliner, though we did years of continuous mods. I don't regret the more comfortable if few hours he spent in it, and we still use it for seating/guest sleeping. If we didn't, monetarily, no doubt it would be a poor ROI from the numbers standpoint.

But still, I don't regret it.

Best,
Laurie

I agree too on a well fitted PWC with all the mods.

However, as we were dependant on loan equipment, the recliner was used by Chris all the way through, but the two different PWC's they loaned us were not of course modified specifically for him. They were ok, but were transport and mobility only.

The recliner was a wonderfully comfortable place for him all the way through. I had a roho on the seat and we kept his arms well support with various types of pillows.

So I think that if possible both can be worth looking at. Another thing is that with both PWC and recliner, the CALS could have a wonderfully comfortable place too ... ;)

I'm really considering the comfortable lift/sleep chair for my living room. I'm a minimalist so I have room, especially since I'm small (5'6", 130) I'm still on the fence whether to move or try to make it with modifications but the chair will have no impact on that decision. I did a complete remodel in 2011 but my doors are narrow so I'll just have to have the OT help me with a decision. Laurie, do you have the link to the chair you have. I'd prefer leather or faux leather. I can always put something on it to make it less slippery. I have some room to move the couch either left or right.

Attachments

• IMG_0572.jpg
    IMG_0572.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 690
Ha! I already have people fighting over the armchair I have currently. As I am a shorty, my new chair will be too small for anyone but me! I'm not ready to admit to needing a chair yet- nor do I think I'll need a pwc in the next year. I seem to be a slow developer- and only seem to have umn affected so far.

Kim- my behind is definitely not as cushiony as it used to be- even though I weigh more than I used to. I need a whole lot of padding.
With regards to your space- I was told to make sure there's lots of room behind the chair, as the recline function will make it take up more space.

I am very thankful for this thread. All sorts of things to think about. Many many thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back