Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Easton
So my mom will be moving in with us. (my wonderful boyfriend and I *just* moved in together 4 months ago).
I'd like to get her an iPad because now she'll have access to the Internet, which she's never had before. She's not tech savvy at all, and I don't even know if she'd use it.
It won't be for communication purposes as I will aim for a dedicated AAC device if the need arises.
Any things I should keep in mind? As of now, she still has good upper body stretch, ROM, and dexterity.

I have used both an iPad and another tablet (Surface Pro 3).

If she's not computer savvy, the iPad is best. My mother in law (80 y/o) pulled hers out of the box and was off to the races within 10 minutes and I have never seen as many "These cats are so cute" group emails in my life. It's wonderful. IPads are very simple to maneuver through websites, etc- and can double as a fantastic book reader. I used one for 5 years- yes, my iPad1 lasted a very long time! I still use it as a book reader as its battery life is exemplary and will last 10 hours before needing a charge.

However, I prefer the Surface, as I can switch between an actual keyboard and the touch screen keyboard. As my dexterity goes down and my arm fatigue goes up, the separate keyboard is a little easier to use when typing out emails, etc. because I can rest my arms on a horizontal surface as I type. I just got it at Christmas and made the switch, and I have definitely noticed the difference in arm fatigue at the end of the day.

The Surface is a little more complicated, as it's a pretty powerful computer and operates on Windows 10. I use mine as a tv/movie player as well. It may be a more versatile choice, depending on what your mum wants to do via the internet.

Fiona

Thanks for the info!
Maybe I'll get her an iPad with a Bluetooth keyboard, which is the setup we use for documentation at work!

Thanks again!

Other iPad uses:

Larry used to fall asleep to music or audiobooks, with the iPad next to his pillow so he could hear w/ the BiPAP. He could not use earbuds.

We also had a Levo floor stand so he could watch movies/TV (Netflix, Amazon) in bed or while in the sling or wheelchair. He only had one eye so he liked the proximity and our ability to angle the screen.

We also used Voice Dream so he could listen to any text from the Web, including public domain e-books, and also his own writing.

He was never able to use the iPad himself but since your mom is, second the idea of a BT kb to avoid touch fatigue, as it were.

I have the iPad with a wonderful keyboard. When you open it, the iPad comes on instantly and it's ready to roll. I used it for meetings at work and it was every bit as good as a laptop for function. For those who have voice, Siri can be activated and open programs, type, etc.
I also use mine as a nightstand audiobook player. You can connected it to external speakers for stereo sound or just hear it from the device. If you have an apple TV ($99) you can mirror anything on your ipad onto your big screen or any other TV with an open HDMI port.

I second the Apple.
I am an 82 year old CALS and my daughter helped me get started with it and put on several apps that she thought I would like. I use it for reading Kindle books, shopping, e mail, sharing pictures etc. I also installed Speak It which is a program that you can type and it will
talk for you. This is a big help for hubby. He can listen to music and play games on it too.
Go for it! CiCi

iPad has a free text to voice app available as of November 2015. For those who's voice is giving out this is a good thing. search for iPad in the tips, tricks and gadgets forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back