Diagnosis
12/2015
Country
US
State
PA
City
Easton
My mom has been having heartburn lately. She said she woke up at 1am crying and couldn't get back to sleep.
Does it affect the lower esophageal sphincter or is it unrelated?

Thanks,
Helga

ALS doesn't cause heartburn. Seems unrelated to me. Perhaps she's got reflux from lying down?

She doesn't eat close to lying down, which I could see.
I just read that the diaphragm helps the lower eaophageal sphincter close...so if she has weakening of her diaphragm, it could be the cause of her heartburn.
She *does* have a weak cough (breathing is good), so maybe her diaphragm is weak?

Yes, it can be. ALS can affect the muscles that normally open and close the passageway. Search the threads here -- some people use a PPI for the short or long-term. One, omeprazole, is sold OTC.

I don't think Mike meant she eats while lying down, but that when lying down she is having some reflux. If the diaphragm is weakening this can happen.

Often people don't notice breathing problems in a PALS they are observing at first, but the diaphragm weakening would cause breathing problems.

"ALS can affect the muscles that normally open and close the passageway"

Learn something new everyday. Thanks.

I had it so bad that it was making me miserable starting several months before my diagnosis. My research and clinic doc said the best product that was compatible with all the ALS meds is Nexium. I take one a day and it controls my acid reflux. If I happen to miss a day I pay the price of discomfort.

I never had acid reflux prior to ALS, except when I over ate.

Approaching from the other direction- some people are sensitive to medications. If she's taking some sort of medication (or multiple) close to bedtime, it may be causing upset. This was my issue. I altered my med schedule slightly and sleep propped up.

I didn't mean eating while lying down, I meant that time-wise she doesn't eat close to when she is going to lie down.
She just had a PFT and the neuron said that her breathing was excellent ��

Ugh. Sorry for my typos tonight!

ShiftKicker, she doesn't take any meds in the evening.

Mark, thanks for the info on Nexium. I did buy her something OTC around Christmas time, so I'll have to see what it was and if she's taking it.

I took nexium for years for a persistent cough caused by reflux. It got to be really bad after I was diagnosed. We tried doubling the dose to no avail. Finally the scrip was changed from nexium to domperidone to increase intestinal motility. Haven't had any trouble since. Speaking to my speech therapist the move is actually away from Nexium and the like. These drugs decrease acidity in the stomach thereby allowing the natural bacteria to increase. This means that any reflux you have if aspirated is way more likely to cause pneumonia. Check with the clinic on this.
Vincent

I take a PPI (Aciphex) and have been taking it since 2000. GERD can interfere with both voice and breathing so no matter if it's being caused by a weak muscle or independently, it should be treated. It can cause hoarseness and other symptoms.

Vincent, re domperidone, it is not approved in the US.

While I agree that PPIs aren't always the ideal long-term strategy, it sounded like Helga's mom was suffering so I was suggesting something available OTC. I would also try eliminating suspect foods/drinks and changing the timing of meals/snacks if/as possible. Pro/prebiotics are helpful for some.

There are GI motility agents approved here, but that's being more invasive risk-wise so that would be third line for me.

Her neuro suggested she try a one week course of omeprazole (active ingredient in Prilosec), so I bought some and added them to her pill organizer box.
We'll see.
Kim, it doesn't appear that she is aspirating any reflux to cause hoarseness or breathing issues, thank goodness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back