Diagnosis
05/2015
Country
CA
State
Ontario
City
Barrie
I've been doing methyl b-12 injections now for the past couple of months or so, IM.
I spoke to the pharmacist recently and we talked about the injections in general. I said that often times, urine was pink for several hours after the injection, the he suggested that a subcutaneous (fat) injection might be better as I was likely eliminating much of the injection by IM route.

I said to him though, that the journal articles related to b-12/ALS noted an IM route to which he responded, "that's just the most common way of doing an injection" although added that a subcutaneous injection might be a much better way to go and directed me towards this article.

I would be curious to hear any comments.
Thanks

Attachments

• Neubrander_MB12_Protocol.pdf
    494 KB · Views: 556
The study used IM. Those were the people who benefited. I don't think there was an sc arm of the study so who knows if it would have worked better worse or the same. The article was clearly not speaking of the ALS protocol as it references children.

It would be much easier if it were sc but I for one am not going to take the risk of adding yet another unknown factor into this. Since I am not Japanese ancestry and I have a genetic defect virtually unknown in that population it is already an iffy proposition. In a couple of years it may be much clearer. I can't wait for that

It's very true what you say Nikki - nobody really knows at this point. From a pharmalogical perspective though it certainly does make sense to do SC eventhough the article references children . It's an individual choice at this point .

That article is not peer reviewed nor does it list references. What do we know of his " research"? Did he conduct a controlled study? I doubt it

I just searched that person. It was interesting as I typed his name the drop down immediately added fraud after his name. It appears that he is offering autism treatment/ cure and that is where he is coming from. From reading further I give that article zero credence. Shame on your pharmacist.

Last edited:
bear you could use this as a great opportunity to educate your pharmacist :)

....I wouldn't say that the article is total garbage and I didn't sense any ill-intention on the part of my pharmacist. When I tell him much is being eliminated within hours of the IM injection, I can certainly see where he is coming from - especially given the IM injection is such a large amount (25mg). He has never talked to anyone using Methyl B-12 for ALS and I thought his concern re: a better absorption method was genuine.

I Googled "Methylcobalamin subcutaneous vs intramuscular" and there were a variety of opinions that came up on forums, although I found one compounding pharmacy that said this:

"How to Take Methylcobalamin

The absorption of methylcobalamin orally is usually very low - approximately only 1 % so is not recommended. Methylcobalamin can therefore be given by intramuscular or subcutaneous injection with the latter being the preferred method to overcome absorption issues. Methylcobalamin injections are available from us in a variety of strengths with a doctors prescription, with the 10mg/ml being the most popular"

Even if the author has some nutty views on Autism, I don't think there is any doubt that a slower absorption of a very high quantity of MB12 is a bad idea, if high levels of b-12 in our system is the goal.

Again, this is an FYI. How you want to take it is a personal choice.

Certainly personal choice but there is no solid scientific research cited in that article. How he came to the conclusions he drew is nowhere referenced. He says research but there are no studies, no footnotes. He can say anything he wants. We can not judge its validity. Were there references from the other site you mention? There are a lot of people with letters after their name saying things that I know to be false on the net. I do not know if this is complete nonsense, scientifically proven or something in between. I am going to be skeptical until there is some solid science presented.

...no there isn't a reference in the article I linked. And there isn't in the quote I referenced from another compounding pharmacy.

There is a lot I don't know about MB12 and how it relates to ALS, although what I do know is that I've had contact with 3 compounding pharmacies in my life: the one I get the MB12 from in Toronto, "College Pharmacy" in Colorado where the article came from, and the quote I mentioned above - which is one from Australia that came up in a Google search. All of them suggest MB12 as a subcutaneous injection.

The only next logical step would be to get into contact with any of the authors from the studies on B12/ALS and ask them why they did IM injections. If I can do that, I will gladly post their responses here.

That would be great though perhaps difficult. If you manage contact let us know. Another avenue would be to ask your pharmacy for the science to back up their assertions. You were given that article, is that where they got their info or is there a better reference they perhaps thought was too technical?

....I will the forum know if I can get in touch with any of them. I can always bring up the subject the next time I talk with the pharmacy....if I get any more info from them I will post it here too. I figure with a disease like this, I want to do anything I possibly can to slow down the progression...
On that topic although off this topic, I got a referral to a MM doctor today. I've read over the many posts on these forums as well as online....Health Canada basically states that it *might* be beneficial for progression given it has worked with mice, although almost certainly beneficial for symptoms. I read the article re: hypothetical possibilities and it certainly was encouraging given the anti-oxidative, neuro-protective effects. Is that your understanding as well? I know you've posted a lot on these forums and would like to know if I have the science right on this one....

I am not expert in this area at all. Although I live in a state where it is supposedly legal there are barriers that make it impractical for me to get. If it were easier I would probably be trying it based on anecdotal evidence

...my goodness....I lived anywhere in the States I would drive to CO, get the stuff, hide it extremely well (in glass), and drive home the speed limit making sure I never got a cops attention.
My plan is to go for a consult and try it, first for mood....if that helps, then use it with the possibility it is also helping with progression. I have not heard anyone on here speak negatively about it.

Nice thought. I live 2000 miles away from Colorado and visitors can buy 1/4 of an ounce. Wishing you best of luck with it

Thanks.
PS: You can buy 1/4 ounce at one place, although that doesn't mean to say you can't go to another one of the 330 dispensaries and buy another quarter..... I might have checked....:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back