What can anyone share about Hoyer Lifts?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michellesews

Distinguished member
Reason
Loved one DX
Diagnosis
09/2015
Country
Uni
State
TEXAS
City
El Paso
I need one and our primary will order one at which time we will receive training at the VA. My neighbor across the street has been great about running over but I hate to impose on neighbors.
Michelle in Texas

I could not have cared for Chris at home right to the end without it.

They are really easy to use once you are trained and make sure you always go slow, never rush.

Of course, you need one. Your house permitting, you can choose between floor lifts and installed or freestanding ceiling lifts. Vets here can tell you which ones the VA usually funds. Lots of vids on YouTube on what they each look like and how you use them.

Measurements to consider for a floor lift include the width of your narrowest hallway or doorway, the height/angle of any threshold that the lift would go over (like a bathroom), turning radius available wherever you would need to turn, etc. Also flooring type -- hopefully not thick carpet. The bigger the wheels the better if you have carpet, but they have to fit under the bed and around the wheelchair and any recliner(s) used. The lift legs go under the bed perpendicularly after you raise the bed if needed, and then you turn the cradle (the thing that holds the sling) to position your husband in bed before lowering the lift.

VA Orlando got us an electric Hoyer Lift and two slings. The contractor gave me a few minutes training. It was the best thing that happened to us that year; made life much better. My 13-year-old girl routinely used it to transfer mom from hospital bed to power wheelchair, or to take my wife down the hall into the bathroom.

Do NOT accept a manual lift.

We just had our referral sent today can't wait as my PALS had a small accident today trying to stand so I could dress him.

Have you had an occupational therapist out to survey your home yet? The VA sent one here right away and she determined that our bedroom/bathroom were too small for the floor model., so we have a ceiling lift there. We also have a portable hoyer which has some in very handy when he fell other places or for travel. In the house, I MUCH prefer the overhead. If you have a rolling one, consider replacing carpet with hard floors.

Thanks everyone. I have ceramic tile throughout the house. My doorways are somewhat smallish as the home was built in 1963. We have decided against having the bedroom and bathroom enlarged due to the fact that they told us it would take two months and we would have to move out. A Hoyer would sure help me out...I cannot get him up with the transfer best. We have a great neighbor but I feel like I'm imposing. Hopefully they won't take too long about this. We're still waiting for a lift for the garage. It's getting to the point that without it he cannot leave the house.
Michelle in Texas

Just to clarify re the "power" lift -- you need power raising/lowering but not power leg opening.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back