Loved one DX
Country
CHN
State
zhejiang
City
ningbo
Dear everyone

The patient is my monther, we are all in China.
Patient feels weak on her right leg, so that she is unable to walk normally, and the condition is gradually deteriorating. She feels her right arm is also weak in recently, sometime she feels difficult to hold the chopsticks. Even sometimes she cannot control her laughter.
Doctors in China determine it is disease in neural system, according to the patient's symptoms they initially suspect it is “primary lateral sclerosis(PLS)”. However doctors cannot confirm whether it is PLS finally, becasuse the reports of electromyography(EMG) from patient are all normal, dotcor says the EMG is benchmark for judging PLS.
Dose anyone can help me to check whether is is PLS? if yes, which hopsital or medicne can treat?

Thank you
Any help is greatly appreciated

Hejun, it is night time, now. Someone will answer your question in the morning, I am sure.

PLS will have a normal EMG as it is only upper motor neurones, ALS will show on the EMG.
Sorry your mum is having these troubles.

PLS will have a normal EMG as it is only upper motor neurones, ALS will show on the EMG.
Sorry your mum is having these troubles.

Thanks for your reply, could you advise is there any hospital or medicne in USD can treat the PLS? thank you

There are no treatments to prevent, stop or reverse PLS. Your doctor may prescribe medication to relieve muscle spasms.

Sorry hejun I'm in Australia.

But as Mike says, there are not treatments that will cure. However there are a lot of supportive therapies that will be needed - walking aids for example.

PLS tends to be much slower in attacking the body than ALS and is not considered fatal. Mostly this is because it is slow and does not tend to stop the breathing the way ALS does, so many people live a long time, though with severe disability with PLS and die from something else.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back