Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
New York
City
Tarrytown
Diagnosed early this year, with moderate symptoms presenting. I'm now considering getting laser eye surgery (LASIK) to correct my nearsightedness. (Holding and cleaning my eyeglasses has become a problem.) They say it's a short, safe, simple procedure, but does anyone have any experience with this? Are there possible complications?

With LASIK, the key would be to get someone very experienced/good. I cannot think of any ALS-related complications or issues to watch for apart from that, except for of course being very diligent with post-procedure care to avoid complications.

This is my experience with Lasik.

They told me that I might need glasses even after surgery. That's a big question you definitely want to ask about. Remember, the laser machine is expensive, so they're highly motivated to sell you the procedure, and even the doctor might be a little like a car salesman. It's up to you to be wary and ask a lot of questions.

Before arriving at the office, I took a mild painkiller (Advil) and a little anti-anxiety pill--so you don't freak out during the surgery.

At the office, while I was lying down, they put clamps on my eyes to hold them open--this was a tad uncomfortable.
You must keep your eyes straight ahead so they don't move.
The laser machine makes a clicking sound and you see bright flashes. It lasts a minute.
Then they take the clamps off and you can go home. It's best if somebody drives you.
During the coming hours (8-12 hours?) I kept my eyes closed. Don't rub your eyes.
The next morning I could read the fine print in the Wall Street Journal stock tables!

My eyes, however, must have "healed" the surgical cuts, because within 18 months I had lost a lot of the benefit, and needed to wear glasses again.

Pick your provider with much caution. Nearly anybody can buy the machine and start zapping people, so you don't want to be one of their first experimental subjects.

I had lasik in 2001 with a very good surgeon. The procedure was $4,000. At the time I had the option to get one eye done to see close up and the other to see far away. I took the option to have both eyes corrected for distance. I still needed to use reading glasses. Mine has regressed from 20/20 distance to 20/50 distance since then. Now I'm back to wearing progressive lenses. My colleague got one eye corrected for reading and the other for distance one year before my surgery (2000.) He still has 20/15 distance and has never used reading glasses. He's 63.

Hey LittleKnight
Great to see you!
I wear glasses so I'm feeling your pain with keeping them clean. I still have one good hand so my trouble is not as severe as yours. I can see (ha ha!) that it will end up a difficult task.
I hope you get some advice to help with your decision.
God bless, Janelle x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back