Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone. We just keep having one issue after another and my aunt and I are leaving next Friday. First we found out that no local facility will accept a trilogy. We hired in home care 24/7 care last week but have already had several people call in sick at the last minute and last night my mother said she saw the aide sleeping three different times.

On the topic of my mother, she is acting very confused and I'm not 100% she saw what she said she did. She says things and if I ask a question she'll say she didn't say it. Yesterday she told me than the owner of the agency who stopped by said "everyone dies" which she felt was insensitive. What I heard from the conversation was "everyone has their struggles" and she shared that her husband has cancer. I see the writing on the wall and it isn't good.

Just wondered if anyone what types of places might take a trilogy and do tube feelings. We're running out of time and I foresee disaster in the near future. :(. TIA.

Star I am so sorry
For facilities. I suspect the trilogy is the issue. At least around here the nursing homes all takes feeding tubes even on the non acute floors. I wonder if you could get him in a rehab hospital. Again around here there is a level of care that is higher than the rehab units in the nursing home. At least one of them here takes invasive vents even. It may be hard to impossible to get him admitted from home especially given he is not a rehab candidate. Call everyone you can think of and make a lot of noise about the upcoming crisis in care. Do you have hospice? Call the social worker. Call the VA call the clinic

Star, so sorry that you are having to be concerned about mom as well! My suspicion is that she is overwhelmed and showing signs of overload. In hindsight, wonder if all my"clear" thinking and decision making during the last months (and after his death!) were REALLY that clear! Since so much is foggy in my mind, think that PTSD that happens to caretakers had set in. Hopefully, your mom will rebound from her confusion when he is finally free. Hugs. Donna

If he is using the Trilogy to deliver BiPAP settings rather than full ventilation with a trach, refer to it as BiPAP, not Trilogy. They may take BiPAP but consider a Trilogy as full ventilation as it is capable of being used for that. It may end up being necessary to switch to a standard BiPAP machine to get him accepted but he should do fine on one. The staff will be familiar with a BiPAP machine and probably not with a Trilogy even if it is being used for BiPAP.

Star, did you try the Villa Pomerado facility in Poway that I mentioned before? And, yes, as Diane and I have noted in other threads, positioning the Trilogy as BiPAP will definitely increase the consideration set.

I would try not to switch machines since that would probably upset him, just finagle an RT visit for day one at the facility, since it sounds like his settings could use more monitoring anyway, alarms may need adjusting in the new setting, etc. and make it a staff training if needed. Once you have set the hook, it's easier to reel in the fish.

Is your mom getting "enough" sleep/nutrition? Lack of either can definitely cloud the mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back