Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
Before insurance, the rental price of the Trilogy is $1,445 per month! That's down right ridiculous. That's more than a mortgage payment! Thank God we met our deductible for this year but in January I'll have the $5,000 deductible again. Medicare is secondary for me so I don't know if they will step in and pay in January or not. $1,445 per month! I just can't believe it.

Vince

That's why I posted on alternatives (though I know you are just venting). Medicare DME rentals are one of the world's con games. The DME gets way more than the retail value, in rent.

If MC is secondary, they will not pay until your primary has denied it and then it will be subject to an annual deductible, like everything else.

Ours was submitted to Insurance around $3200. We were paying $1500 a month for each trilogy then $325 for the cough assist. I ended claiming hardship with the company and paid $30 a month for everything. I would call the company and ask if they will take insurance payment as payment in full? If they say no, I would ask about hardship programs. They don't usually offer the information but many have them.

Good point, Steph, and one we should work into other threads.

Ours actually cost 170$ a month after the Rental company billed the Insurance 1800. Insurance only allowed 1/2 of that...then the percentage and deductible thing...170$ left for me to pay. I considered buying our own...but then maintenance is on me and I didn't know anything about fixing it! Anything tied to insurance has that double the price scam thing happening...sickening.

And...if you lean a bit on the medical supplier about the January issue...they will absorb that month worth of your part. Mine did. They know the price is inflated. I told them...if I am paying cash this month, I want the cash price....the same thing you have agreed to take as payment in full from the insurance company! They hardly even argued...just credited me the month.

Before insurance, the rental price of the Trilogy is $1,445 per month! That's down right ridiculous. That's more than a mortgage payment! Thank God we met our deductible for this year but in January I'll have the $5,000 deductible again. Medicare is secondary for me so I don't know if they will step in and pay in January or not. $1,445 per month! I just can't believe it.

Vince

They are charging the same $1445 a month. What a scam. I pay $190 a month rental. I start Medicare 12/1, so I don't know what will happen then.
I was thinking of calling the DME to see what the story is. My brother told me he paid a rental fee on Medicare for his bipap for 12 or 13 months. Then he owned it.
I did purchase a supplement for medicare, so maybe they will pick up some. Have no idea!
Marty

Lorie is a wealth of knowledge on these issues! The cost of bipap through Medicare is very different than trilogy. My mom was on a rent to own setup as well for her bipap. When the time came for the trilogy it was a shock to see the EOB's for the trilogy. You cannot help but feel like you and Medicare are being scammed on the rental program.

My cpap was a 12 month rent to own. For all the things the va gives vets, they don't give trilogy machines. They made it very clear I would need to return it. They are in the $12,000 range to purchase and are sent for a breakdown ,disinfecting, and rebuild after each patient. Both our rental company and va said the same. The cough assist they weren't worried about and the same for the suction machine. However the trilogy seems to be like gold.

We were told also that the Trilogy is never sold because it requires the support of a Respitory Therapist (who comes out quarterly and more often if we call).

When the va pulmo heard I had changed steves trilogy settings, he wasn't happy. I had upped the volume a bit because he just needed more air. Wanted to know how did I do it and where did I learn it.

Its like they are the crazed about the trilogies. Previous resp. Therapists told me small changes...never big ones. And call if significant. She also told me about the hardship deal .

A Trilogy or Astral takes no more care or feeding than a BiPAP without a battery, but the real reason around not "selling" includes the higher retail and how reimbursement nets out.

BTW, used NIVs are sold on line at places like dotmed.

I currently use a trillogy and have Blue Cross insurance. I'll be transitioning to Medicare 12/1. Does anyone have experience with this transition? Will they allow me to keep it, pay for it, raise or lower the rental etc?
I did purchase a supplemental F policy.
I'm concerned because I do feel better since I've had it.
Marty

Medicare paid their part for ours...actually paid a little more than Aetna to the supplier.

Marty,

If your current DME isn't Medicare-approved in your area, you would have to start over w/ a new supplier.

If it is, you should be able to keep your machine, but tell your DME early and often about your payor change, so they can bill appropriately. Also, ask your DME/new plan about copay changes, which are certainly possible. You will also have to meet a new Medicare deductible beginning on 12/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back