Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
California
City
Los Angeles
If I understand correctly spasticity is a part of the upper motor neuron aspect of this disease. How is that experienced? Sometimes when I grasp things, or try to hold on to something really hard I get cramps in my fingers. Is that the spasticity? Are there other things that go along with that? Thanks in advance.
-Michael

If this helps I wrote this about spasticity:

The nervous system is incredibly complex and takes years to learn about after regular medical training. Every neurologist worth their salt admits that we know very little about the brain and nervous system at all. I will try to explain spasticity in layman’s terms using illustrative examples.
Our most obvious movements could be thought of as basically two muscles at a joint, for the sake of simplicity. Taking two muscles most people know, such as the biceps and triceps, we know they are both in the arm but are used for opposite functions. To bend the arm, the biceps is pulled tight so it gets shorter, while the triceps gets longer and stretches, allowing the joint to move. To extend the limb, the opposite happens – the triceps shortens and the biceps lengthens. In reality there are more muscles at play but, if you hold your arm out and bend your elbow, so that your hand comes towards your face, you can feel the biceps contracting and the triceps stretching. Now straighten your arm out again and you feel the opposite happening.
When spasticity is involved, as the brain sends the command to the biceps to contract, there is background noise like static. The muscle hears static over the real message, and so hears ‘Contract – no, get longer – no, contract.’ However, the static is also getting in the way of what the triceps is hearing and so it is hearing much the same. Both muscles try to contract and the result is some crazy, jerky movements.
This is why spasticity causes a lot of stiffness and deep muscle aching.
Medications can help reduce and control spasticity. They usually work by reducing the amount of static, which was confusing the muscles. As a result, people often complain they are weaker when on these medications, because the static was masking a lot of their true weakness with all the extra contractions. Now, without the static in the background,
the muscles are more relaxed and so the weakness is more apparent.

That's a great explanation. Thank you. There's so much to learn and looking things up quite often takes one to very complex and technical pieces of medical literature. And, quite frankly, I'm more interested in what it looks like or feels like then the scientific details. Your explanation does just that.
-Michael

It was explained to us this way...fasciculations happen in a single muscle fiber, spasticity happens in large muscle groups. Spasticity can bring on what appears to be strong muscle but really is more like cramped muscle.

Steve experiences tremendous hand cramping at rest and when he pinches to grab something.. his tremors have become so.bad that picking things up is most difficult. They have increased with his spasticity.

Michael, to be frank, spasticity plain sucks.

One of my biggest problems is people watching me. I tense up and immediately everything is harder to do, particularly walking!

The other thing that really frustrates me: I can pick something light up and put it down again with my bad hand. The amount of people who want a demo is incredible.
I always get 'that's alright, you can still use your hand,' annoys the living Sh!t out of me.
Yes I can pick something up ONCE, but the amount of determination, concentration and straining that goes with it...total exhaustion.
I truly hope any spasticity progresses slowly for you.
God Bless, Janelle x

Glad it helped Michael I wrote that out of researching many different sites to try and make it something practical :)

Gooseberry, thanks for the description. It's very helpful.

Janelle, I totally understand that frustration. You are right, the amount of effort and determination to do things is unbelievable. Most people just don't get it.

From the descriptions above I guess I have very little or no spasticity at this point in time. That said, everything is subject to change and I want to know what I'm looking out for. Thank you all for your kind responses.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back