Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
IA
City
Indianola
I am curious as to the pro-inflammatory cytokines (IL-6) and TNF-alpha response PALS have had? I have read that these inflammatory markers are abnormal (high; stay high) in those with ALS.
Thoughts...?

Mike
[email protected]

As I understand it, cytokine IL6 and TNF-alpha are high in lots of conditions, from osteoarthritis, via marathon runners to sleep apnoea.In ALS,it is the chicken and the egg situation as to whether inflamatory factors are cause or effect. The one thing that is certain is that they are not specific to ALS alone and therefore not really useful as biomarkers to aid diagnosis of the disease.
Jean

Hi Mike
am interested in why you want to know if the IL6 and TNF alpha levels are constantly raised in ALS? As far as I am aware,they are not and certainly one study found that the levels related to hypoxaemia , rather than the disease itself. Is that any help?
Jean

Very interesting article But does that help me or any one else on this forum NO!

Mike
The second link on your list is the study I described in my earlier posting. We are still in the chicken and the egg scenario i.e Something causing localised increase in cytokine etc leading to motor neuron death , or motor neuron death leading to increases in inflammatory cytokines etc. I don't think there is a clear lead as to what is happening yet.
Jean

Hi Mike, I think that research concerning the biochemistry of the ALS disease process is important. As in most research, more questions are raised than answers, but that is par for the course. Hopefully, someday, further understanding will lead to more effective treatments and a cure. I do not have my dad's test results, and do not know if he was tested for cytokines or the TNF alpha response. I could ask my mom if she has kept all of the paperwork, though they may not have given her that particular information. Are these levels usually measured in PALS during diagnosis, or was it done just as part of those studies?

Patricia-

I think it is helpful to find out this information as it could lead to beneficial outcomes...which is one of the reasons forums like this is for.

I appreciate all of your replies, but I think I may not have explained myself well enough. I'm not so much looking for the answer of what causes what, I'm simply searching for those who have had cytokine measurements/tests, and what were they in relationship to when diagnosed to current? In other words were they high at diagnosis and then decreased or have they remained high all along? I don't necessarily want to know why (I'll leave that to the researchers), but simply just wanting to see numbers.

Hope that makes sense?

Mike
[email protected]

Hi mike I really dont think any of us had that test I know I havent and if they are high there is nothing they can do with that except use it as a tool for diagnosed ALS which we dont have at this time Pat

Well, I'm guessing/hoping some did get tested. Many ALS research articles discuss it, so I'm thinking there are results out there somewhere.

Mike

They never tested me for that to my knowledge. I'm less of a science guy so am not really concerned about it. I'll leave that to the researchers.
AL.

I wasn't tested for that to get to diagnosis and haven't seen any current ALS research studies including this.

Liz

Hi Mike
have not had my levels measured and i think it happens only in research projects currently. It will be interesting to see whether thalidomide has any major effect on ALS as it is being used in its capacity as an anti THF factor and can cross the blood -brain barrier unlike the anti TNF monoclonal antibodies used in eg Rheumatoid Arthritis , which can't.
Jean

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back