Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
We are enjoying our trip to Yellowstone very much. However, it started with a bit of wheelchair excitement.

Before the trip I was without the PWC for over 2 weeks while the left drive motor was replaced to r3 solve a left turn isue that occurr3d on my lat adventure. I was not confident in that diagnosis, but the motor tested out of spec so replacing it was reasonable. I did not have a chance to really test that repair before we left for Yellowstone.

On the second day in Yellowstone we went to the Mud Volcano area, which has some steep trails. Of course I raced ahead of my companions and came to a stop on a slope. Imagine my surprise when the chair started an uncommanded turn to the left. The path was narrow with hazards to both sides. If I took my hand off the joystick I turned left and kept turning.

We made it back to the van and called the wheelchair folks. Eventually they put us through to someone who could help. I had a full set of tools for the chair and my friend who was with us for the first few days is very mechanically inclined. With guidance from the wheelchair folks we were able to implement a temporary repair.

So the wheelchair is working again, but my confidence is shaken.

I still lovey wheelchair, but have got to get these issues permanently resolved.

Steve

Scary, scary, scary ! !

I'd skip the Grand Canyon ...

the most part of the trail you go on has a wall around the canyon in the park. just don't take a dog lol i almost went over the wall with ares. i was not to happy with the place. long drive from fs to the canyon with no where to stop at till you get there a fire between that had us stop for 4 hr's then $20 just to drive in to the park. if you ask if i would do it all over again hell no. but that's me.

Thank goodness you weren't at a busy intersection in a large city! I mean dead is dead but I think I'd rather free fall into the grand canyon and have that as my last view versus the underside of a bus....

But seriously, I think I'd install a kill switch just to be safe.

We visited the Grand Canyon back when I was being pushed in a manual chair by my husband. I was astonished to see that the trails were unfenced and so open and close to the edge. No place for dogs or kids or unreliable power chairs! At one spot my ever considerate husband pushed me along a section of trail that was separated from the drop by a single row of rocks the size of a row of brick pavers used along sidewalks. And some of them were missing. No doubt at the bottom of the canyon. I held my breath and whimpered as we traversed this section of the trail. Then my husband stopped. My wheels were right at the edge of the cute, little, loose rocks. I took one look down to the side and started yelling at him to get me away. I used some rather strong language. "I thought it was a good spot for you." he said. "You could look straight down to the bottom!"

Steve, I don't know if you read my post about Matt's chair doing the uncontrolled turn the night before we set out on our trip to Colorado. This was after the motor was replaced. The explaination we've been given is that they got a bad replacement motor. We also love the chair, but I'm losing confidence also. We're expecting to get it back next week--let's hope two times is a charm.

Please be careful!

Nuts, I did read you post on Matt's chair failing.

I think the root cause of our most recent failure is now well understood. The cable that puts the chair in freewheel mode connects to the motor's brake at a lever. This lever is in the vertical position on my right motor, which causes it to hit the shock. This prevents the right brake from ever engaging. Ever. No matter what.

The temporary repair we made was to adjust the preload on the shock so the lever just barely clears the shock. This works, but just barely. I check the operation of the brake often.

Fortunately, I still have sufficient mobility to quickly exit the chair if necessary. ..I think;)

We are still having a great time in yellowstone.

Steve

scares the crappers out of me just imagining Steve

Make sure you exit on the high side not over the edge!

Oh Steve! Wow!
I'm so glad you weren't on your own!
It's very sobering to read about pwc "adventures". I've had a couple of minor adventures but nothing quite like that!
I hope you manage to get the chair sorted.
God bless, Janelle x

scares the crappers out of me just imagining Steve

Just how I was feeling reading that. Don't want your bones joining those prehistorics at the bottom of those mudpots!

And Diane--good lesson for us clueless. I would've been thinking just like your husband. Will keep in mind now that perspective's quite different from inside that chair!

Those are some scary adventures. "Be careful out there!"

Steve, I hope the temporary fix is working out and that you are enjoying a safe, as well as wonderful, day.

By the way, I waved as we drove back through your neck of the woods. What a beautiful area. I can just imagine you racing around on your chair!

So far, the fix is holding.

I have put about 50 miles on the chair since the fix and have some wonderful stories to share.

We have another week here, so it will be awhile before I can share some of them with you.

Steve

Steve, what chair are you using? Im looking for a good trail chair.

I now have 3 chairs.

My primary chair, and the one used for all the adventures described in this forum so far, is a Permobil C500s VS. That means high speed motors, tilt,recline, legrest elevate, seat elevate, and stand. I also have the light kit for those late night adventures.

Despite the issues I have had with it, I liked it well enough to get a C500 Corpus 3g as Backup chair.

I have the carcass of a Magic Mobility X8 Extreme I am in the process of resurrecting with a good friend. It is 4x4 off road chair and I look forward to putting it through its paces.

Note that I far prefer the seat in the Permobil VS to the Corpus 3g. The trunk supports are far superior!

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back