Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
CA
State
Canada
City
Somewhere In
Has anyone here felt that their hips have become instable?

When I walk, it can actually feel what seems like a shift in hips. Sometimes, I have a sense that my right hip is going to pop out?

I'm assuming it is because of how weak my hip flexors are. Or perhaps because my lower paraspinals are weak and becoming non-existent.

Or maybe it's just one of those things completely unrelated to anything.

Just curious. The sensation and sound grosses me out.

Thanks,
Cee

I get that sometimes but in my case it's more likely due to me being shot in the hip when I was younger...

Yes, Chris had this.

His progression went top down. So with his legs it was his hips that wasted first. Between the wasting and spasticity his walking became incredibly awkward as his knees would flex too much and his hips would be quite strange. He used to bounce off the walls walking up the hallway before he started using a wheelie walker as he couldn't possibly walk in a straight line.

I can strangely say for certain I have been shot at on numerous times, Brad, but thankful all near misses. Geez, I can't even imagine the horrors of being shot in the hip. Needless to say, your response begs so many questions. Why? When? Where?

Affected, thanks for letting me know. I started upper thigh and then progressed downward. I don't think my knees are flexing too much, but it's hard to say. I am by myself and just sort of adjust to change without realizing it until something can no longer be adjusted I guess.

But now that you mentioned your Chris' inability to walk in a straight line, that has been a problem of mine. My ex would mention it, as did friends. When walking in tandem with other people, I tend to walk into them. I honestly thought it was their inability to walk in a straight line until I tried to follow a line on a road by myself.

I'll mention it next time I see the doctor, but it's nice to get some input in between visits.

Righto.
Brad, Cee, PLEASE EXPLAIN
Seriously, very scary stuff!

Cee I get a lot of hip pain, but I'm pretty sure it's because of my wonky walk.

I'm hoping replies here will put your mind at ease.

God bless, Janelle x

if i try to walk w/o braces i just cantor side to side as a way of adjusting my weight to move forward. we all just keep on adjusting to everything as it comes down the pike. good to you all. oh yea add me to the list of getting shot at and getting shot numerous times. love ya chally

Thanks Janelle, I don't think that the fact the I sort swing my right leg in a semi-circle helps. x

"Has anyone here felt that their hips have become instable?
When I walk, it can actually feel what seems like a shift in hips. Sometimes, I have a sense that my right hip is going to pop out?
I'm assuming it is because of how weak my hip flexors are. Or perhaps because my lower paraspinals are weak and becoming non-existent.
Or maybe it's just one of those things completely unrelated to anything.
Just curious. The sensation and sound grosses me out."

Cee, yes, my right hip is very unstable. I walk short distances with a cane. I think my gait problems started with no dorsal flexion in the foot, so I can't roll forward on my toes when I walk. Since I can't roll forward onto the toes, my knee has to collapse to move the torso forward. Weak hip flexors and paraspinals add to the problem. All of this leads to an unstable gait and pain in the hip joint.

No sound, though.

It was an accident. I'd been out shooting with a buddy who was a body guard for a family in town. We happened to have near identical .357 magnums. We got in and I unloaded mine and set it on the counter and he did the same but forgot to unload his.

Their 16yo son comes in (who was raised around guns his whole life) and picks mine up, checks to make sure it's unloaded and dry fires it a couple of times. He then picks up my friends gun but forgets to check it (brainfart #1) and isn't looking where he's pointing it (brainfart #2) and snaps the trigger on a live round.

He ends up shooting me point blank in the left hip with a 158 grain hollow point. You know that thing in the movies where guys get shot and then wince a little and take off running... Total BS.

What happens is that you are stunned by the pressure and sound of the muzzle blast then the pain sets in and it steadily gets worse to the point you can't move without causing excruciating waves of pain. And there's blood. lots of blood...

Believe it or not I got really lucky. It nicked my thigh bone and fragmented the bullet before it could cause a hydro-static shock wave (simply put a bullet traveling at super sonic speeds does its damage by creating a little "sonic boom" in the water and fluids within the body which is how you get these huge cavernous exit wounds), it also missed my femoral artery by 1/2 inch according to the ER doc as well as missing "the boys" by a few inches as well.

They decided against digging out the bullet fragments because it would cause too much nerve damage cutting them out ( there were 9 pieces 8 of which are still in me some 30+ years later).

SO that's my getting shot story...

BTW, this is when I developed a healthy skepticism of prognoses, they told me I'd be on a walker by age 40 and until ALS I was playing center field at age 57 with kids half my age and still play golf (although with the braces and tape, etc... I look like Edward Scissorhands on the golf course)...

I can strangely say for certain I have been shot at on numerous times, Brad, but thankful all near misses. Geez, I can't even imagine the horrors of being shot in the hip. Needless to say, your response begs so many questions. Why? When? Where?

Affected, thanks for letting me know. I started upper thigh and then progressed downward. I don't think my knees are flexing too much, but it's hard to say. I am by myself and just sort of adjust to change without realizing it until something can no longer be adjusted I guess.

But now that you mentioned your Chris' inability to walk in a straight line, that has been a problem of mine. My ex would mention it, as did friends. When walking in tandem with other people, I tend to walk into them. I honestly thought it was their inability to walk in a straight line until I tried to follow a line on a road by myself.

I'll mention it next time I see the doctor, but it's nice to get some input in between visits.

OK, my story is up but it went to mod.

Your turn... :):):)

I have weakness in both my hips which causes me to walk funny. Just had some mild PT for the past 8 weeks to help with that and some core strenthening. My PT guy is very aware of ALS and how you can't push those muscles very hard. Its helped some!
Dianne

Thanks Texas Quilter. On my next appointment, I'll ask for some specific help in that area. So blessed to have this forum and everyone offering their experiences, tidbits, and advice.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back