Reason
PALS
Country
US
State
Mass
City
Florence
Has any one have a elevator installed instead of a stair lift ?

I am also interested in this topic. I think I remember GregK saying he has one.

Steve

I have a Garaventa Genesis lift in my house. It has 3 stops: garage, main floor and 2nd floor. It has the capacity for me, my pic and an attendant. I do not have cost info.

I have read that stair lifts are useful only while the PALS has adequate core strength to sit upright in the chair.

I have a stair lift and it has been an enormous help. However, as Greg says, it is a stopgap measure since it suffices only as long as one has the core strength to sit upright in the chair. The stair lift has at least bought me some time until I can find another solution.

I have a platform lift on my porch. Costs a lot less than installing an in house elevator. New mine would have cost $15000. But i found a used one and got it for $2000. Its a life saver since my home is 2 stories.

GregK said:
It has the capacity for me, my pic and an attendant.
Obviously that should have been PWC and not pic. Dang spell check.

We have an elevator in our home so that Tim can get down to the basement where I have a couple of work shops. It is nice, and I must admit that it is used by his kids more than him, and I like it when I have something large to bring downstairs. Tim has a very large PWC so it is larger than some home elevators. We put it in when we built the house, and it cost about $30,000. They should be serviced every 6 months, and it cost about the same as a car being serviced. Because we do not live in a large city we have found it difficult to get it serviced. The company that installed it is 5 hours away and they charge $100/hr including traveling time. I don't know whether they didn't tell me about the servicing or I missed it with all that was going on, but ours had not been serviced in 2 years, and now we have a problem with it. I finally found a service person who is only 1 hour away, and comes into town to service other elevators, so will do it then and not charge me for travel.
From my research it can increase the value of your home by 10%.

Ironically, I was reading on a website a few weeks back at there was this story about home elevators. I sent it to a friend who joking about putting one in her huge and very multi-story home. Illnesses or not, we're all getting older and thinking about the future. Her included. I really know nothing about them but here's the article if anyone is interested.

New style elevator replace stairlifts - Business Insider

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back