Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
This morning I think I almost suffocated on a mucus plug plat became lodged in my esophogus. Is there any thing to do whren this happens?

Suction with the blue Yankaur "tonsil tip" might help stuff in your esophagus, but a mucus plug would be in your trachea. A Heimlich thrust would help. A cough assist machine would help a lot in prevention, but the most important prevention is to keep plugs from forming by increasing your intake of water. If you can't swallow it safely, it is time for a feeding tube for hydration. If you don't want that, well...

I'm thinking eliminating all dairy, as well, because it causes excess mucus.

Gosh Diane, Neil has a peg and posts here regularly.

Neil, I agree about lots of water. Do you sleep semi-reclined? (I think you've said you do)

The cough assist would be the thing as it would push that plug out of your airways. It might need to become part of your morning routine?

Kim yes some PALS find reducing dairy helps, but some PALS need lots of dairy to keep their calorie intake up. Neil is nearly exclusively on peg feeds

Gosh Diane, Neil has a peg and posts here regularly.

Tillie

Actually, I don't make an effort to remember the details of all the people here, even regular posters. I want to be helpful but I don't want to invest emotionally so my responses are practical, clinical, and can be interpreted as cold. Over my 30 years with ALS, I have seen literally every person with ALS I have met in person and online go downhill and, except for newer people, die. If I can't remain detached, I have to withdraw from all ALS contacts as Max and Big Mark are doing. I can't help anyone if I do that and I want very, very much to help. I just have to draw the line at emotional involvement. Of course, some people do sneak past my barriers!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back