Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
I have posted in several other threads about how my van is serving me well, but that I lust after a 4x4, high-ground clearance, wheelchair hauler.

Yesterday, I went to McDonalds with a friend and his young daughter. When I pulled in, the only handicap spot was occupied by a pickup. No big deal...they had a placard. I parked next to it and walked into McDonalds rather than unloading the PWC (it was a short walk).

As we were eating my friend exclaimed that the pickup had a gullwing door. He had never seen anything like it. I immediately know what it was.

I quickly stumbled out of McDonalds and met the folks loading their son into a Chevrolet 1500 All Terrain Conversion wheelchair accessible pickup.

It was a thing of beauty. It was fast to load and unload. It was quiet. And, it was a pickup!

They were wonderful and talked for quite awhile, answering all my questions. We exchanged contact info so I could ask more questions later. What a nice wheelchair hauler and an even nicer family.

Now that I have seen it, I have unadulterated lust for one of these. Unfortunately, my wheelchair will not fit!

For those of you looking for a wheelchair hauler, you should add this to your list to check out.

Steve

:) sounds like a beauty!

steve any chance you took a photo? chally

The one we looked at was red and brand new for $75,000 dollars. Needless to say we don't have it.

None of the truck conversions I've seen are designed for PWCs, their for std & light wt chairs. I've had a truck in the family for a long time and I miss not having one. Can't count the number of times I've bottomed out with my van. ��

After reading about this, I googled a couple of pictures of an adapted truck and it is indeed a thing of beauty. Hubby was instantly enamoured! Price tag was pretty steep, though--we will need to buy a few lottery tickets ��

We looked into it but Tim's PWC is too big for it. We were so disappointed, because we love to go up into the mountains with friends and the van rides so low it has problems with even small bumps. Last time we went the exhaust was dented, the a coolant hose was punctured, and a rock jammed into the ram switch.

Last time we went the exhaust was dented, the a coolant hose was punctured, and a rock jammed into the ram switch.

Wow, I really don't need all that much encouragement to spend the big bucks on a new wheelchair and pickup truck. I appreciate the encouragement, though:) I trust you made it home OK after that adventure.

I have also been on mountain roads with a variety of vehicles that were not intended for such travel. I have always managed to get out, but sometimes not without some excitement. A pickup would be so wonderful.

For now, I am very fortunate that I can still ride in a regular vehicle. When we go on rough roads now, we can take our SUV. I know the day is coming when that will not be practical and want to be as prepared as I can be. A pickup sure looks like it would be a nice solution.

Steve

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back