Diagnosis
04/2015
Country
US
State
WV
City
Sandyville
With what we have all seen in the past several months with PALS who have left us, it makes me question the 3 to 5 year life expectancy. Sure seems closer to two years to me. The outside world doesn't see what goes on in this forum. If it were published, I believe there would a much larger demand for intervention. 80 years since Lou Gehrig and where are we? Has anyone gone back, using population growth averages along with stats on how many people get this disease and figured out just how many people we have lost in these 80 years?
We shouldn't have to be saying goodbye so often.

Vince

Sure seems like a lot are leaving.

It has been tough for sure recently. I think the older tend to die faster. I also think the really slow progressers are under represented on this forum which makes sense as they have more time to adjust. My mom and 2 aunts lived well over 5 years from onset. My sister is 4 years from first symptoms. I remember being told by someone during a research visit ( a doctor who directs an ALS clinic) that he had patients who walked into the exam room for visits 10 years into diagnosis
I know a PALS unrelated to me who is more than 20 years and no feeding tube bipap or vent. And my face book groups seem to have a good number of long term PALS. I have heard speculation that the longevity ststistics are outdated and PALS are actually living a little longer

Last edited:
My PALs is currently in his 8th year - so I would agree w/Nikki.

Early diagnosis might have something to do with longevity. Was diagnosed in Oct 2010 and fortunately able to start Rilutek soon thereafter. Still able to walk, talk, eat and drink at the near-5 year point so I consider myself very fortunate although arm weakness is problematic. I am aware of quite a few ALS patients that went through h-ll before they were correctly diagnosed, thus delaying treatment that might (or might not) help. Who knows? -no one, more than likely ! !

My PALS was diagnosed in June 2010 and it was a long road to diagnosis so maybe he's had it since 2003. He is not on a vent, no peg, uses a bipap at night and for naps, power wheelchair when we are out and about. He has a lot of muscle atrophy in the upper body, left arm in particular and his legs are noticeably weaker. He is having a more difficult time keeping saliva in lately.

I do agree that we have had more time to adjust than most and for that I am grateful.

I agree Frank. Everyone tells me early riluzole is when there is the most benefit. I saw something in a research article that said as the disease progresses the transport of riluzole through the blood brain barrier becomes less and less. so it probably does not help those who get it late as much

I agree with Nikki re: the numbers being off and also people getting Riluzole earlier.

Another thing I think helps is better utilization of supplements, MMJ and exercise. I still run into medical people who advocate a "do nothing physical at all" approach because you only have "so much left". Basically the between the lines is "There's nothing you can do except sit around and wait to die" -which really ticks me off...

The other thing I intend to discuss with them at the clinic next week is weight loss/gain. Don't get me wrong, I truly believe that keeping my weight up is important BUT adding weight as fat as much as possible doesn't make sense to me.

Here's my reasoning - I'm going to lose X amount of muscle via wasting and atrophy. Replacing that weight with fat just makes it harder on the muscles remaining not to mention the increased likelihood of falls, breathing effort, etc... I realize that a healthy weight needs to be maintained for your immune system, etc... and the neuroprotective qualities of a high fat diet are another reason to maintain a good weight, but I've had a couple of people in clinic suggest what essentially would amount to blobbing out (now that I think about it these tend to be the same ones that advocate no exercise) and I've witnessed first hand the degenerative effects of that with my Mother. She has essentially become wheelchair bound due to weight gain and muscle loss due to a lack of exercise) even though her motor functions would allow her to walk if she was a normal weight.

So LSS, I think another reason for increased expectancy is people re-thinking the conventional wisdom and individualizing their management of their "personal" version of ALS.

No doubt there are those who live beyond the 5 years. But there are also many, included our PALS on this forum, who don't make it past 2. All I'm saying...

Vince

The 3 - 5 year is an average... as far as I'm aware it's still a pretty reliable average. It always feels like it's not when we get hit with a few losses in a row I know.

Because the 2-5 years is after diagnosis, it makes it difficult to assess time frame as some are diagnosed far sooner. If you add in the time of initial symptoms, it makes it closer to the 5 years I think. Took my hubby 2 years to get diagnosed, and he lived 27 months after that. He was 72 when diagnosed.

My BJ gets annoyed with the term average 2-5 years ,in maths a average is one single number not a sliding scale of 2-5 years, but that's just him being him .
It dose seem like we have had a group pass close together, it certainly brings the reality of this disease closer to home, I have stopped telling BJ who has passed on as its like telling him he is one step closer himself.
Love Gem

Any statistics on survival time I have found have the incredible and outdated cut off of people who use breathing equipment as dead, and this apparently includes BiPAP as well as a ventilator. Anyone finding a study that doesn't count us as dead so prematurely? (Imagine statistics that count a diabetic as dead once they use insulin!) There have to newer stats out there.

I am 4 years from 1st symptoms, 1 year from diagnosis. Still only have bilateral foot drop, other than that my limbs still work. Breathing is becoming more of an issue though.
Vincent

O.K. maybe its just a coincidence, but of the last 7 PALS that passed the following represents their longevity from diagnosis:

7. 1 year
6. 1 year
5. 2.5 years
4. 2.5 years
3. 2.5 years
2. 17 months
1. 1 year

I've never been given a clear answer of whether the 2 to 5 years or 3 to 5 years is from onset of symptoms or from diagnosis.

I guess my biggest point is that we are losing people to this disease likely every day or at least every week. No, the numbers don't match cancer but people are dying and I'm just frustrated that more isn't being done. Prior to the Ice Bucket Challenge the amount of money allocated to research by the federal government was an embarrassment. Do you know how much President Obama's recent trip to Kenya cost? Look it up. I'm sorry for the rant but this just isn't right. There has to be a way to get this disease more in the public eye.

I'm going to donate spinal fluid at my next clinic visit in hopes of an earlier diagnosis for future ALS patients. Not looking forward to a spinal tap, but I need to feel like I've done something.

Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back