Diagnosis
10/2013
Country
US
State
PA, No longer live in ME
City
Pocono's
Went for my composite AFO fitting today, tried a couple different types. Ended up with one that encircles the whole upper calf, wow felt amazing. Pick it up next week, I get to say goodbye to the cane. Can't wait.

Mike

I love my AFO's, but when I first got them I still needed the cane...then the walker...and now my power chair. Good luck with them, they make it possible for me to stand to make transfers easily.

As a veteran you can apply for a clothing allowance if you are using an AFO, or a wheelchair, or any other device that can potentially add additional wear to your clothing. It is due at the prosthetics department by August 1 of each year. Checks are deposited in the veterans account some time in the fall. It should go to the chief of prosthetics.

If you have two devices then list two, three then three, and so. The veteran will be paid a clothing allowance for each device that qualifies.

http://www.benefits.va.gov/COMPENSATION/claims-special-clothing_allowance.asp

Last edited:
Mike that's awesome!
In a weird kind of way, I love my AFO, it stops the near misses with stumbles and falls.
May I just offer, though, leave your walking stick in the car. My AFO, whilst not too heavy in itself, becomes heavy if I walk for too long. Probably from my weak leg I guess, so the stick can come in handy...
God bless, Janelle x

Thanks all for the reply, will keep the cane handy that's a good suggestion. Didn't know about the VA allowance.... Thanks

Mike

Mike, the use of AFOs may also make you eligible for increased VA compensation (SMC) if you are not already receiving it.

My husband was never able to walk in his AFOs, he felt they make him more unstable, but now that he no longer walks we had them adjusted to compensate for his swelling feet and they work great as positioning devices to counter the contraction due to foot drop.

Happy walking!

Hi Mike,

How are you adjusting to the AFO? Does it still feel ok when you wear it? It is a carbon fiber or a hard plastic one?

I got mine back at the end of December and have had a hard time adjusting. I'm on my third version, with multiple adjustments to the other ones. My problem is that my tone is so high, it turns my foot over to the outside, which in turn slides my heel over to the inside of the AFO. The pressure of my heel rubbing against the side of the plastic AFO is really painful. My current version is the best of the three, but it still has some issues. Also, I live in Texas, and it is ninety eleven million degrees right now, and it is hard to make myself want to wear it. I want to be able to get used to it, because it really does help with my walking, but it's been a challenge.

First had single plastic AFO for foot drop (left foot) but the single AFO created problems (gait, balance, plus ankle soreness on right foot). Now have two carbon fiber AFOs that work wonderfully. However, did have adjustment problems and still have a scar from the original strap around my calf. However, all is well that ends well, so some say. Anyway, the AFOs have made a difference in my life.

Thanks, Mary, for the tip regarding the potential for aVA clothing allowance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back