Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi all! Has anyone tried, or know of, extensions for spoons and forks to help when arms don't move easily? I thought I heard that something like this existed but when I googled 'fork extension' I didn't find it. TIA!

Not quite sure how such a thing would help? If grasping is an issue thicker handled utensils can help or you can make your own with the premade padding for pipes.
If he is so weak though it is probably best to conserve strength and feed him. He would eat more too

Starente, your OT should have a complete catalog filled with accessibility aids, including tipped bowls, thick- and twisted-handle utensils. I found plenty by googling "adaptive handicapped utensils."

But if your dad really needs extensions, it may be time to feed him, as Nikki suggests.

He can grasp it but I saw that he has to pull his body towards his hand vs. his hand to his mouth. I thought if it was longer he would be able to more easily get his hand to reach his mouth. The problem is his shoulders are painful and stiff and he isn't able to move a lot from that area.

Hey Star, Wayne and I bought heaps of special cutlery. Of course, it was very expensive!
Trouble now is, as you say, sore shoulder issues. I find that even the special cutlery does not help, it still hurts to use that arm to eat, and my mouth would still chase the fork around...
I think you should save your dad's strength and your money...
God bless, Janelle x

My poor husband wanted to feed himself till the bitter end. it got to where he was eating like an animal because he couldn't lift his arms. horrible and stubborn. feeding him is the way to go, but you can go on ama zon and look for utensils in medical supplies and find all kinds of stuff. don't buy expensive though until you know if it works--one fork and one spoon only

Oh Pete have you been spying on me

Thanks Janelle and eveyrone else for chiming in.

Great idea Pete! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back