10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone,

I was wondering if anyone has had to remove a tub and install a wheelchair accessible shower. We're at the point and I want to make sure I've considered everything. The bathroom is small to begin with. I envision open access, tiled walls and floor with a shower curtain to try to contain some of the water. It probably won't be the perfect situation but we need to get something going. Any ideas greatly appreciated! TIA

We removed a shower and added a bigger, tiled one with roll-in shower access and a curtain. But it's been important for us to have a 5 ft turning radius for week chair and roll in shower chair. A bidet has been wonderful too.

Sherry

An alternative is a portable fold away shower. One of the PALS in a face book group reported she liked hers. Obviously setting it up and putting it away is work. I think it would depend on how long you foresee the need, as well as financial and caregiving resources. A proper roll in shower is clearly the nicer choices but expensive and will not happen instantly

I also highly recommend installing a ceiling mounted heater/exhaust fan combo to keep the patient nice and warm after the shower. Maybe pointed toward the area he/she would be drying. Mine is a Panasonic. Works great! TB

Another way to get additional space in a small room is to replace doors with pocket doors! Easy change.

Lots of great tips! Thanks

having a tub removed is not all that hard, but you want to make sure everything is as open as possible and accessible. a good add on is a hand shower in addition to the regular shower head for getting closer to the bum if he is in a chair. also love the idea of a heat lamp instead of a regular light...keeps the area warm.

You can put a floor drain in that runs the length of shower and not woorry about dividing things so much physically

We did the rain shower with a hand held also. Upper niches for my wife's stuff , lower niches for mine. Haven't installed grab bars yet. Toilet w/bidet seat cover installed after picture. Heater cannot be wen in pic.

3dd721969c88cecf4d25528db55931a3_zps0ggdvodo.jpg

Been thinking about this myself. I have a big garden tub I was thinking of having removed and installing a roll in shower. The room also has a small shower already in it, but no way to enlarge that because it is next to the door and the vent for the room. It is a pretty good sized bathroom, 12 by 15. Just have to wait until I save money for it. We only used the garden tub once because our hot water heater wasn't big enough to fill it.

Beautiful job T!

Lovely room- think you could hold a bathroom party I that large room!

>We did the rain shower with a hand held also.

looks great!

Attachments

• 16994_10153456901232863_666543248431915522_n.jpg
    16994_10153456901232863_666543248431915522_n.jpg
    58.7 KB · Views: 222
The linear drain and water dam are great ideas! Does anyone know if there's any pitch to the floor or if it's totally flat? Also, for anyone who's done this, did you get a contractor who understood ADA requirements? How did you find them? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back