Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
1. Does using a bipap actually hasten the time when you need one all the time because you are not using your own muscles to exercise them is does it hasten their decay?

2. There is a circular plastic thingy from which my feeding tube emerges from my body. Over the months this has pulled away from my body so that it is no longer tight. How do you go about getting it snugged to the body?

To back it away from or toward the skin, simply lift the opposite edges of the flange and pinch them up against the tube. This will open the hole in the flange and allow it to be slid along the tube. It may stick at first and you need to be careful not to tug on the tube, but with gentle manipulation, it will move.

The bipap saves your muscles from overexerting themselves and wasting energy. Therefore the bipap is an energy conservation measure. Using it helps.preserve muscles because they aren't over tired all the time.

Neil I'm not sure on the feeding tube issue, but Diane has that covered :)

I can only agree - the bipap will stop you over-using those breathing muscles and so help your breathing in general as well as the help it give you on each breath.

Not using a bipap when your breathing is becoming laboured will possibly hasten the wasting of those muscles, and will definitely make your quality of life more crap as you struggle to breath and are retaining CO2.

Hope that helps

I feel like an astronaut, wearing the breathing mask most of the day. I wonder if I could convince someone to add a little nitrous oxide . Might as well enjoy it.

Neil, good to see your sense of humor is in operational mode!

Have you tried the nasal pillows? They are small and tuck up inside the nostrils so you don't have a mask.

Nebrhahe53, I have given you some very bad advice about moving the plastic plate on your feeding tube! I should have asked first if your tube is the type that has an inflatable balloon inside your stomach to keep the tube from sliding out. The balloon on these lasts about 6 to 9 months before it begins to leak and gradually deflate. The first indication that this is happening is often what you described -- the plastic disc is further from your skin. The disc hasn't moved, the tube is sliding out as the balloon deflates. The tube needs to be replaced, a simple painless procedure. If the tube comes out, it needs to be replaced within about 12 hours. The longer it is out the risk of difficulty in getting a new one in increases. So, if you d have a balloon tube, carefully move the plastic disc back up to where it was. Push the tube back into your stomach up to the plastic disc and tape the disc down until you can get the tube replaced. Call your doctor and let him know what is happening and schedule a replacement. Since it has been several days since you asked about the position of the plastic disc, I suspect the tube has fallen out by now! If not, moving the disc back to where it was and taping it down will be fine until the tape irritates your skin. Ouch. Also, if the tube was out too far, you would have experienced pain when putting food or water through it. This is a major problem that can cause severe infection. Since you are still posting to the forum, apparently this hasn't happened!
In the future, do the same thing (push the tube back in) but check carefully to be certain the tip is in your stomach before using it. To check, use the big syringe to pull back on the plunger. If you get stomach contents it is in place. If not, push a little air through the syringe and while you care giver listen with a stethoscope or with an ear on your belly for the immediate whoosh and gurgle as the air is pushed in. If neither of these works, don't use the tube and get it replaced.

>I wonder if I could convince someone to add a little nitrous oxide . Might as well enjoy it.

:)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back