03/2011
Country
AU
State
Western Australia
City
Perth
Hi
Some time ago my wife let me know I'd developed really bad breath. I've never had it before so I assume it's related to ALS. No amount of tooth brushing or mouthwash will make it go away. Has anyone had a similar experience and if so can you suggest a remedy ? Thanks

If you can chew parsley. We have found that ALS or not chewing on parsley leaves does wonders and for an upset stomach chewing on mint leaves can help as well.

Hey! Are you suffering from massive dry mouth due to your meds? I am--and it has definitely affected my breath--I hate to talk closely with people bc I imagine I'm poisoning them with my awful breath! I even got my first cavity last year--I'm almost 49--and the dentist said it could be from the excessive dry mouth I have now. Ask your doctor what he recommends--I forgot what my doc told me to do, so I just suffer--or rather, force others to suffer!

You could also have sinus infection and may not know it

Could be kangaroo meat.

Seriously, multivitamins give me terrible breath.

Steve had been given a special toothpaste to use. It is colgate permadent. It is prescription only

I have the worst case of dry mouth imaginable. Last week when my grand girls came to visit, I burped (some times I burp uncontrollably), and my grand daughter who was on my lap at the time.......said "who Farted"?
I of course blamed Harlee, who was right next me:shock:

Oh Mark! LOL!

I always blame the dog!

So, Tim has had episodes of bad breath, but we seemed to have it under control now. Dry mouth is definitely a problem so hydration is really important. We found that mouth wash actually made it worse so stopped that and use salt water gargles instead. Flossing has been the main thing that has made a difference, which of course I have to do now. Tim's brother is a dentist and he gave me some tips, such as doubling the floss, or tying a knot in it and passing it through where there are larger spaces between teeth. I have also started to run the floss through coconut oil first as it is a natural anti-bacterial, and seems to moisten his mouth. Hope that helps.

Paulette

Steves dentist recommended the water flossers. He got one this weekend

>I of course blamed Harlee, who was right next me

:)

This is just a personal theory...but maybe the smell is related to cell death? I have long thought that was what was the problem with the burning eyes that so many Pals suffer with. the cell death from the nerves and waste produced change the pH of the body and result in smelly breath and stinging eyes, and it comes and goes as progression speeds and slows.

wow, I sound like a scientist. of course--this could just be total BS.

It makes sense barbie because steves body odor is always there and he didn't use to have one. When he goes thru periods of fast progression it gets really bad.

I've read that tongue scrapers available at drug stores are useful in combatting breath odour in ALS patients. Severe dry mouth is a problem for me, and it wakes me up throughout the night. I use biotene spray (over the counter at drug stores) and sips of water.
- Charlene

Chris always had a very wet mouth, and any stimulation caused immediate copious saliva.
The wet mouth is its own problem too as with his bulbar issues it was very hard to clean.

I agree however that at times, seemingly with progression, he could exude odours and I wondered about cell death too.

I had to be really particular about his oral hygiene but sometimes it almost seemed to be seeping up from his stomach too. I would have blamed Harlee too!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back