Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
Once finger claw begins do all fingers wind up going into the palm?

That's a good question. I've been wondering the same.
-Michael

All of steves cramp I to the claw position but still release. It is takin more time for the release though. Lately he has been grabbing his trilogy tube in the night making it alarm and his fingers take a.long time to release.

Make sure hands are resting against something w/ give, and sink into it, and they won't claw (we used travel pillows or foam, depending). As to your question, that (fingers into palm) was not our experience but YMMV. And the claw will give way at some point.

The clawing is a result of the wastage of the muscles running down the inside of the lower arm. As they shrink and tighten, the fingers are pulled in.

Support for the arm and joints, ROM and massage, hand splints all will help a lot and give relief.

They won't stop the clawing. They will lessen pain and tension however.

Will the hand continue clawing? Yes, in response to the muscles wasting.

All good thinking Laurie and Tillie but stubborn is stubborn.

Sometimes mine really hurt to stretch out, especially my 'rude' finger, that's what my kids call it!
I'm trying to sleep with a splint on my middle finger at night to see if it helps during the day.

To answer your question Neil, my pointer and thumb don't claw...yet. They can still grip things but that's it. Can't carry anything and it's almost impossible to release anything. My other three fingers are really quite useless now...my ring finger has some bling, but that's all it's good for.

God bless, Janelle x

gooseberry I was replying to Neil and just explaining how the clawing of the hands works.

Chris loved the massage and ROM but would resist good positioning and the splints. He didn't have enough arm movement to grab anything ...

I realize that Tillie. My mind was thinking one thing and only part of the thought came out. Sorry:)

nah all part of the business of weaving through the threads eh gooseberry ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back