11/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Tucson
Hi Arizona PALs,
I moved back to Tucson from NoCal last month. After my diagnosis in Nov 2014, I continued to work until I had to have a thyroid surgery in March and ended up in a rehab hospital after that - the surgery really weakened me. I had always planned to move back when I could no longer work but had to move it up quickly after I went on leave. Its just too expensive to live in my home and make the house payments.

So, now that I made the move and started getting hooked into my Dr. and services (very slow BTW), I found out that if you're under 65 in AZ you cannot purchase a Medicare Supplement. Imagine my dismay and my embarassment for not checking on this before! Now I'm faced with more out of pocket costs and am trying to navigate the insurance maze.

I read this morning that if you go with Medicare Advantage, when you try to move to a supplement (when age permits), you will have to qualify medically and you could be turned down due to a pre existing condition. I dont know if I will be around at that point, 4 plus years, but what if I would move again or still be here at 65.

After that long expaination, has anyone run into this? If so, did you get turned down?

If you are under 65, have you opted to go with Medicare Advantage?

Would an insurance broker be able help find the best Advantage provider?

My 82 yr old mother is my caregiver and its getting hard for her to care for me and I need to get help soon for basic care and not sure if I should stay on Medicare A and B with adding D or just move to the best Advantage provider.

Mom has a memory issue and having her do the research and calls for me (dont speak well anymore) if difficult since she has a hard tiime keeping it all straight. I do what I can but I'm limited and starting tofeel very alone and a ittle scared about future. I need to get help in to take this burden from her.

Sorry this is so long....if you have any advice, I would be very grateful!

Thanks in advance!
Hope4Me:confused:

Thanks Nikki,
We have calls into SHIP and hoping they will call back soon. I really appreciate the link - we dont have that yet.

Many thanks :)

From the Medicare site:

The best time to buy a Medigap policy is during your 6-month Medigap open enrollment period, because you can buy any Medigap policy sold in your state, even if you have health problems. This period automatically starts the month you're 65 and enrolled in Medicare Part B, and once it's over, you can't get it again.

-----
But I don't understand why you would want a Medigap, aka "supplement" policy instead of Medicare Advantage. Medigap policies require buying a Part D policy for drugs, assuming you'll need some, and you still have to deal with traditional Medicare for your medical needs.

With Medicare Advantage, you choose the network you want to deal with (there are better and worse in every state, but it's a company you can picket if need be, not a computer in DC), you can pick a plan that includes prescription coverage so everything's in one place, and your benefit is likely richer. Check out the planfinder at medicare.gov.

I asked about it during the enrollment time with a couple of brokers and we just talked about it at our support group meeting here in Phoenix. We are out of luck and it won't matter if you move from one state to another. Medicare is federal program and for some reason they won't allow disabled people under 65 from buying supplemental insurance. I would suggest you talk with a broker, but don't hold your breath. I have been trying to do that for years (I am 51). I am pretty sure I won't get to 65, but one never knows and things change every year, but sadly not normally for our benefit.

Doug

Thanks very much ILGB. I am looking now at the Medicare Advantage plan since AZ will not allow anyone under 65 to buy a supplemental plan. I'm glad that you opinon iis Advantage may be better. I am contacting insurance brokers now to see what plan I can afford. I'm in the space where I am not flush but make over a SSI help.

Doug thanks so much for confirming the under 65 rule. We have been a little confused because Medicare has told us difference answers.

Have great day all!

I had the same problem in Texas-the only Medigap program for people under 65 in this state is a bad joke-you'd be an idiot to take it.
However, when you turn 65, not that I think I ever will, my understanding is that insurance companies MUST offer you a medigap plan ( a good one) regardless of your illness-this is federal law. Plan F is the one to go with.
I am very sorry you got stuck with this crapper of a disease.

I had the same problem in Texas-the only Medigap program for people under 65 in this state is a bad joke-you'd be an idiot to take it.
However, when you turn 65, not that I think I ever will, my understanding is that insurance companies MUST offer you a medigap plan ( a good one) regardless of your illness-this is federal law. Plan F is the one to go with.
I am very sorry you got stuck with this crapper of a disease.
Thanks and sorry you are stuck with it and in a state like me that doesnt allow a medigap policy until 65. It seems weird, what skin is it off the states nose? Maybe I'm missing the issue....

Most Republicans national and state health care policy:

Get sick and die.....

I am under 65, in AZ, and purchased a Medicare advantage plan that includes 100% of dme and everything Medicare parts A and B does not cover so far. It took a lot of research but I have been happy with the plan.

Tucson may have different providers and coverage than we have up here. My DME is covered at 80%.

I do wish people would keep political comments in check, it just takes up space. I don't know any R or D that wants anyone to get sick and die

Actually medicare covers 80% and advantage plan picks up other 20% of dme. I'm pretty sure it's statewide plan

I am under 65, in AZ, and purchased a Medicare advantage plan that includes 100% of dme and everything Medicare parts A and B does not cover so far. It took a lot of research but I have been happy with the plan.
Hi AZgirl,
Thanks for your reply. I am also looking at the Medicare Advantage plans. Does your plan also have good drug coverage? I take Nuedexta and just found out its $840 now that my work insurance has run out. I believe its helped me and hate to give it up.
Also would mind telling me which Medicare Advantage policy that you have. Perhaps you could send a private message to me. What I have looked at so far does not pay that much.
Thanks Again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back