Diagnosis
03/2015
Country
US
State
mi
City
Novi
I am in the process of obtaining my Quantum Q6 thru University of Michigan and I have to make a decision. A seat elevator, or height adjustment feature is an add on that I would have to pay for out of pocket. Its a pretty expensive add on, around $2000.

Do any of you have a chair with that feature, and do you find it to be worth the money?

Thanks!

Deb

Hey deb, I have no expert opinion in this regard, but with everything I've read here, I would do it.
Good luck!
God bless, Janelle x

Annie's chair had an elevating seat. She used that feature occasionally early on, but as she weakened could no longer make use of it, i.e., the things elevating the seat allowed her to do before she could no longer do them even if she was elevated. This included such things as elevating her chair at the kitchen sink to use the faucet. As she weakened neither her arms or torso were strong enough to use the faucet even though she was high enough. She got perhaps several months of use of the elevating feature.

Of course PALS progress differently, but I think it's probable that an elevating seat will ultimately prove to be of minimal value. The continual changes that occur with ALS is one of the frustrating things that a PALS or CALS has to deal with, and makes accommodating functional losses much different than other causes of disability which, though severe, are at least stable. In that case one is able to find solutions and make the investment that will serve their needs long term.

The bottom line is that if I had to pay for the elevate feature out-of-pocket, I would probably decline and reserve my funds for other uses. Annie's chair was an Invacare T D X with a Motion Concepts seat.

You might want to do a mental inventory of the things that an elevating seat would allow you to do and then make an evaluation of how much they actually add to your self-sufficiency, and then take your best guess as to how long you'd still be able to do them even if the seat could get you high enough.

Wishing you much grace and peace.
Phil

Deb, having just read you profile I see that your looking at a possible PLS diagnosis. In that case, I would expect that your projected use of the elevate feature would be considerably longer than for a PALS, and so the benefit of the $2K expense would be much more attractive to me.
-Phil

I use mine all the time. It's a great feature. I was lucky when I got my chair Permobile had just donated the elevator to each of the ALS chapters.

Patrick

Deb, have your doctor write the medical necessity letter. For one, the elevate features makes transfers much safer when you can no longer use your legs. You can elevate higher than what you are transferring to and then use a sliding board. Think about trying to get onto your doctor's exam table with no use of your legs! If you can't get insurance to cover it (Anthem did for my hubby), as Phil wrote, 2K will be well spent with a slow progression. People don't look over your head or avert their eyes if you are elevated to eye level. In addition to reaching things in your house and in stores, think about approaching store counters. It will also allow you to see over other people's head in a crowd (or be seen for that matter). The elevate function immediately turns my husband from a guy in a wheelchair into a PERSON when he is out in public.

I use mine a lot. With it I'm three inches taller. Permobil gave me mine also. I was still teaching and that helped me continue teaching.

Off topic but Nuts mentioned exam tables. Does anyone else go to a clinic where the exam tables are really low? Had not thought of it before for wheelchairs but probably correct height. I appreciate not having to climb up like every other doctor's office I have ever seen. Recognize the clinicians are sacrificing their backs for the patients.

If you can get it covered Deb that would be awesome but even without if it is possibly affordable you will appreciate having it and as you are apparently slow progressing worth more to you

I will be lost without my riser on my power chair. I can't get out of the chair without that Lift.I have exceptionally long legs, a 36 inch inseam, and is my legs weaken I have to rise the chair to get out. Talk to your ALS social worker and year durable medical equipment people and find out if you can get that paid for. With ALS depending on your height it may be quite important. Good luck!
Hollister

I paid for the seat elevation function myself and am very glad that I have it.

There are so many things that are above eye level when sitting in my chair (and it is a pretty tall chair to start with, a Permobil C500).

It is nice to be at eye level with folks when talking. It is nice to be able to elevate to a height where I can see the electronic payment device at the store checkout. It is nice to be able to look at things on a higher shelf in the store. There are so many things I find it useful for.

Attempting to get insurance to pay for it delayed getting my chair by about a month. In the end, they denied it after several appeals. The wheelchair place eventually gave it to me at cost, which was about half of list price.

It is well worth the $1,200 I had to pay.

Steve

It also great because you don't have to look at people butts and crotches all day.
Patrick

We use Tim's a lot even though he is a quad now. He was 6'3" tall and hated being in a regular wheelchair because people stood in front of him. When he is raised I would say that he is at the height of 5'11". When we are shopping I always raise the chair up about 6" as I am tall and find that the most comfortable height to operate the attendant control. I just have to remember to lower him again before I try to load him into the Van. And having said that an attendant control is also something I really recommend, although that probably can be added later on.
Paulette

Thank you all for your very, very helpful comments. I have tried to have this feature included as a medical necessity (I was told insurance never pays for it), and negotiating the price, and failed at both endeavors. I love the comments from Nuts and Swalker - this feature would allow me to remain a Person, and look at someone in the eye. I can see the necessity to have help with standing. Even now I can't get off the couch without help. I sit in my lift chair when I'm home alone. Thanks for helping me make the decision to pull the trigger!

Deb

i don't need it. when you go for the height on it you take away a lot of the other stuff you can do with it.

>For one, the elevate features makes transfers much safer when you can no longer use your legs

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back