Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
wv.
City
renick
i have been diagnosed with als back in feb 2015 although i feel it started in june 2014. my right hand fingers are curled up and sore to stretch out. i have lost of movement in both hands but the right seems different. my ortho Doc says it's Dupuytren's contracture another rare malady. ques. anyone else have this?

morrie schwartz

i have just been giving this great little book called "Morrie" and it has a lot of good reflection and life wisdom's for pals. also i had posted yesterday about Dupuytren's Contracture and got no replies how about some help with just hand cramps and cupped fingers. either way i sure i am not alone with having hand problems, what do you all do? thanks chally

I do not know anything about dupuytren but like most PALS my hands are tight and curl. Range of motion "exercises" are very important to all parts of our body. I try and stretch my hand by pushing it on a flat surface regularly. Tillie has also created some great videos on other range of motion needs for PALS. They are on YouTube.

thanks tripete,very helpful.

Re: morrie schwartz

Both of my hands are attempting to claw and my nursing aide massages them and straightens them out daily. I use a figure 8 split on my mouse hand which helps a lot. Good luck
Hollister

hey hjlindly, what is a figure 8 splint? i have trouble w/the mouse. thanks

Hi Chally. I did the old reliable, and googled that contracture thing. I'm pretty sure I don't have that, but my hand is in a fist most of the time now. When I notice it, I straighten my fingers out. My 'rude' finger gives me agonising pain when I straighten it. Just today I bought a finger splint. My plan is to wear it for an hour or so a day, just to help keep it straight.
I too, massage my fingers when I'm doing not much to try and help.
Hope you get some answers soon.
My left hand is fine, so I can manage the massage on my own.
God bless, Janelle x

thanks janelle, wow i am in WV usa and talking to you half way around the world. sorry to sound so surprised as i never cared much for computors before and now after morn rituals i can't seem to get off. probablybecause i can't get out and do all the physical things i did before so life is good it's always changing. my job is to accept. one love chally

>My left hand is fine

ok well, we take what we get and be glad for what we have :)

All good Chally! I know I what you mean about the different parts of the world!
Just so you know...in my head you all have Aussie accents !
God bless, Janelle x

Brilliant!

I'll have to look up Dupuytren's contracture but I can tell you on my right hand my index finger, ring finger and pinky finger curl under. Ironically, my middle or swear finger is the one that stays straight out. I am assuming it is part of the disease. I have gotten used to it. Lately, I find it painful so I am working more consciously to straighten it. Thanks for the reminder of Morrie. I should reread that book for sure. :)

The ortho is probably not familiar with ALS. curled fingers is common.

As the muscles in the forearm waste and tighten it causes the fingers to curl in. You should maybe talk to your neurologist about this rather than an ortho as it is very common sadly.

There are responses on your other thread. It can take days for lots of responses to come through on a question sometimes as so many of us are caught up in dealing with ALS.

I have been meaning to read that book, thanks for reminding me! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back