Diagnosis
02/2014
Country
US
State
AZ
City
Gilbert
Can someone help me please. I searched for NIF and saw that it is Negative Inspiratory Force.

My neurologist tried to explain it to me but I didn't sleep well the night before so I sort of missed it. Can someone explain it maybe on a 1st or 2nd grade level, hehe. Or in layman's terms.

MY FVC actually went up sitting but went down supine. Still decent numbers, but he was more concerned with the NIF. He also said that some trials are looking at the NIF in addition to FVC.

Thanks and sorry for my ignorance.
Doug

NIF is used sometimes instead of MIP I believe. It is the one where you have to breathe in when they block the flow it reflects how strong those muscles are and the diaphragm is a good part of that Thanks for posting this I meant to post that the other day I heard someone talk about the DPS trial and he said there were 3 things they looked at to qualify FVC, ABGs or MIP and that MIP was probably going to show the problem 6 months before the FVC. For people planning on pursuing the DPS I thought it was good to know

It is common to have your fvc higher when sitting. Gravity helps your diaphragm move downward to draw in air which is why when lying down your fvc decreases...no gravity to help. Our pulmo looms for trends and greater than 10% difference between sitting and lying down fvc numbers in order for any decreases to be significant.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back