Old 05-13-2015, 06:26 AM #1 (permalink)

City: Lancaster
State: PA
Diagnosed: 12/2014
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
tripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud of
tripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud oftripete has much to be proud of
Default Swallowing

I have begun to notice that certain things can be difficult to swallow; like spaghetti. I have also noticed that my jaw gets very tired chewing. I suspect this might be the start of eating issues. What kinds of things do other PALS have difficulty swallowing? It is worse on days when I have more coughing fits which I am guessing is related to muscle fatigue.
Old 05-13-2015, 06:28 AM #2 (permalink)

Default Re: Swallowing

And oh Mark, no this is not a thread on "THAT" type of swallowing!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:03 AM #3 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pinehurst
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 08/2013
MaxEidswick is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pinehurst
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 08/2013
MaxEidswick is on a distinguished road

>And oh Mark, no this is not a thread on "THAT" type of swallowing!

enjoy every bite!
Old 05-13-2015, 09:21 AM #4 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
GregK has disabled reputation
Very Helpful Member
Forum Moderator

City: Colorado Springs
State: CO
Diagnosed: 11/2012
GregK has disabled reputation

O lord, has Big M led us down a dark path? ;^)

My swallowing issue is that 'stuff' tends to go down the wrong path, and I spend the rest of the day trying to clear it. This is why I opted for the peg.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:10 AM #5 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pit of hot
State: FL
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pit of hot
State: FL
gooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to beholdgooseberry is a splendid one to behold

Steve is having issues with rice corn and seedy foods. Thin liquids sometimes.
Old 05-14-2015, 10:27 AM #6 (permalink)

City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough
City: Sandyville
State: WV
Diagnosed: 04/2015
BlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the roughBlueandGold is a jewel in the rough

Pete I have the same issues with my jaw muscles tiring out. I also have issues with my jaw locking when I yawn. I'm just thankful I'm still eating but I've had to adapt, i.e. I have to re-warm my food because I take longer to eat - small bites makes it a lot easier on my jaw muscles. However, I'm still mobile and so very thankful my legs are working good.
Old 05-14-2015, 01:19 PM #7 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: Austin
State: Tx
Diagnosed: 06/2014
nebrhahe53 is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: Austin
State: Tx
Diagnosed: 06/2014
nebrhahe53 is on a very distinguished road

You might try Nuedexta-it helps some people swallow better. Helped me for about 6 months.
Old 05-15-2015, 03:11 AM #8 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute

Making those super smoothies that many here take in could be a key to helping. Now it won't help your swallowing improve but it will allow you to get some high calorie and nutritious stuff down easily.

So make your meal of the stuff you like smaller, let go of the stuff that is difficult or start putting it through a food processor first to break it down a little. If eating a meal takes more than 20 -30 minutes it's time to start new strategies. One of the things that happens is that it begins to take as much or more energy to consume the meal than the calories the meal contains and you are going backwards.

So if you cut down the meal size by a third or a half, and enjoyed eating it hot in one go, then drink a high powered smoothie either straight after or maybe half an hour to an hour later, you will have taken in more calories than before with far less energy spent.

Before Chris went onto puree I started putting parts of his meals through the food processor with the copping blade. It then still retained some texture, but made it so much easier to eat.
Old 05-15-2015, 12:44 PM #9 (permalink)

City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to all
City: taylorsvill
State: utah
Diagnosed: 01/2014
bigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to allbigmark1954 is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tripete View Post
And oh Mark, no this is not a thread on "THAT" type of swallowing!
why...I do declare....I dunno what you are talkin about.....

Chewing, swallowing, and drinking are all challenging for me. I luv to eat, but sometimes it is tricky. I often swallow stuff be for I get it chewed properly. Steak is a challenge for me because my jaw muscles get tired.
I choke on saliva most of the time, and food if I am hurried or not concentrating.
The up side is that I can count undigested corn and peanuts every morning.
Old 05-15-2015, 05:01 PM #10 (permalink)

City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 06/2011
CGARS is on a distinguished road
City: St. Catharines
State: Ontario
Diagnosed: 06/2011
CGARS is on a distinguished road

i recently (2 months ago) switched to a more pureed diet, mostly to save time, increased safety and save energy.
gotta tell ya, i don't think i've ever eaten better!
i had a bbq pork chop mash potatoes and broccoli last night. it was amazing. the other day i had a filet and shrimp. all it took was a $13 mini chopper and a can-do attitude
as we progress, it seems as if the planets must align for us to get a meal where we aren't choking, out of breath or just exhausted. God forbid if my handler doesn't have my straw at the right height or angle or even depth. not to mention the thickness of the straw, temperature of the liquid, or whether or not the nose is clear for breathing!
swallowing is such a science for a pals, gone are the days of nacho eating contests.
cheers,
Casey
Old 05-15-2015, 09:36 PM #11 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member

Forum Moderator

City: Seattle
State: WA
Diagnosed: 09/2009
lgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond reputelgelb has a reputation beyond repute

Oh, yeah, this thread reminded that on another thread I should have warned about rice as vigorously as I warned about corn. But as others have pointed out, these things can be puréed.
Closed Thread

Tags
coughing, eating, fatigue, ice, muscle, muscle fatigue, swallow, swallowing