Old 05-13-2015, 03:44 AM #16 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: lala land
State: home
Diagnosed: 05/2013
Interest: I lost a loved one to ALS/MND.
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Extremely Helpful Member
affected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond reputeaffected has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: I'm having a hard time with this next step.

Well done in handling the stomach issue Paulette and how lovely to have him feel so good today!

I must say the chipper I bought last year is my favourite toy and now the weather is cooling I've got a lot of stuff I've been piling in one of the compost bays and really looking forward to getting the motor going and having a good go at all those piles. I know then I'll be riding around the property looking for more to put through it as once you start you just want to do more!

That was a great point about the breathing rate you altered. We all breath differently at rest compared to something like singing, but we don't think about it. Now you have to think about all those tiny aspects of breathing.

So glad you are updating us again and thrilled that the support here has been a benefit to you. That's what it is all about!
Old 05-13-2015, 03:52 AM #17 (permalink)

City: Salmon Arm
State: B.C.
Diagnosed: 07/2012
Interest: I am a caregiver for someone with ALS/MND.
zoohouse is on a very distinguished road

Thanks Tillie, I see we have a bit in common when it comes to gardens and tools. I think this chipper is going to be one of my favourites as well, and since I don't have a lot of space for big piles of pruning I think it will come in very handy. At my last place I use to make a big pile of all my prunings and branches that dropped from the trees, and then borrow a truck to bring to the compost dump at the city garbage dump, but now I will use it either as mulch, and it is great for shredding up leaves and green stuff for the compost.

Paulette
Old 05-13-2015, 07:25 AM #18 (permalink)

City: Small town
State: Midwest
Diagnosed: 08/2012
cheerleader is on a distinguished road
City: Small town
State: Midwest
Diagnosed: 08/2012
cheerleader is on a distinguished road

Paulette, loved your analogy that your new chipper was like shedding all your troubles! Oh, if it were so easy! Glad you had a cheerful day.
Old 05-13-2015, 08:59 AM #19 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: Pinehurst
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 08/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
MaxEidswick is on a distinguished road
Extremely Helpful Member
City: Pinehurst
State: Texas
Diagnosed: 08/2013
Interest: I have been diagnosed with ALS.
MaxEidswick is on a distinguished road

>It was one of the most satisfying things I have done in a while, like I was shredding all my frustrations and worries.

Old 05-13-2015, 02:35 PM #20 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

Indeed Paulette, the whole gardening thing does it for me:

My chipper has a tow bar so I can hook it up to the quad bike and take it anywhere on the property. Kind of becomes an endless task if I let it lol

It can take up to 65 mm thick branches.

Gardening is my favourite therapy, and I'm always going to think of you when chipping now!
Old 05-13-2015, 04:09 PM #21 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough
Extremely Helpful Member
City: orlando
State: FL
Diagnosed: 01/2007
Barbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the roughBarbie is a jewel in the rough

What a lovely and thoughtful mother's day gift! LOL. (I would not have been so pleased..)

I can't help but smile when I think of your big smile when you got it! such a toolhead!
Old 05-13-2015, 06:09 PM #22 (permalink)

Tim wanted to get me a mitre 10" chop saw, but I told him I would prefer the shredder as I do more gardening then woodworking in the summer. He said that, then he wanted one for father's day, I just laughed and said that a paralyzed man does not need a chop saw.
Barbie you have my number, I love tools, I also got a gas backpack leaf blower, as my electric one is 20 years old, and I hate the electric hose getting wrapped around all my plants. When my first husband and I got divorced I had to decide between the upstairs furniture or the older furniture down stairs and the tools, but I had kids so I chose the newer furniture. I use to tease Tim that I married him for his tools, but he had to leave them all in Texas when I brought him back, and I felt that his sons should get them when he passed so it made no sense to bring them all here. But I must admit that I wish I had the tool box I bought him for his birthday just before he was diagnosed.
Old 05-13-2015, 07:11 PM #23 (permalink)
Extremely Helpful Member

Extremely Helpful Member

LOL Paulette, I have definite ideas on my favourite tools too.

Post a photo of your chipper!

I also love my 70l poison sprayer that's mounted on the front of my quad bike (500cc VTwin).

I do have a back pack one that I need in confined areas the quaddie won't get into. The trailer for the ride on is another fav as I can load tools and stuff in it to take many places I need it.

How is Tim today?
Old 05-13-2015, 11:39 PM #24 (permalink)
Very Helpful Member

City: By the beach
State: Western Australia
Diagnosed: 4/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
Green Queen is on a very distinguished roadGreen Queen is on a very distinguished road
Very Helpful Member
City: By the beach
State: Western Australia
Diagnosed: 4/2016
Interest: I have been diagnosed with another Motor Neuron Disease.
Green Queen is on a very distinguished roadGreen Queen is on a very distinguished road

Sorry ladies, my idea of gardening is a four letter F word...FAKE!
If it wasn't for Wayne we would have a desert out the front!
It's amazing how we are all built the same but have such a varying range of interests!
Wayne would tell you my favourite pastime these days is shopping, but I'm yet to find my favourite thing to do now...

God bless, Janelle x
Old 05-14-2015, 01:09 AM #25 (permalink)

Tim is doing very well today, no further pains or nausea. He was tired tonight, because his wednesday friend Percy came over and read to him some joke book, before they went on to the biography of a Canadian astronaut. He said he was tired from laughing so much. I had to bring both vehicles in for summer tire change, which was over due. So lots of loading and unloading then storing winter tires, and back and forth to tire place. The shed is all finished now, so I get to move my toys into it, which is no small task. I have a large snow-blower, leaf blower, lawn-mower, chain saw, hedge trimmer, pressure washer, and various sundry gardening tools. My chipper shredder is already there. It is not as large as yours, but I don't have an acreage just a huge garden full of different beautiful trees and vines. My favourite right now is a Laburnum that is in bloom, I'll try and get pictures tomorrow. I don't have a poison sprayer, and I have to admit that herbicides and pesticides freak me out. I make my own sprays with soap, water, tobacco tea, and something else I can't remember right now, and I pull all the weeds by hand. Again I do not have an acreage, and the majority of my garden is under cedar mulch and they pull out very easily. The trees that I have planted are mostly of the dwarf variety and I can reach most branches with a ladder so I pull of any bugs or caterpillars by hand. My brother died of Lymphoma, and during my period of doing oncology there was a huge correlation between pesticide and cancer in the orchardist that surround this area. Growing up we use to make money picking fruit, and of course the rules were far less stringent then, and we ate as we picked. But I must admit I am more likely to die from falling off a ladder than the pesticides that we use now a days.
Attached Images

Old 05-14-2015, 02:21 PM #26 (permalink)

City: Wilmington
State: NC
Diagnosed: 06/2010
maryhahnward is on a very distinguished road
City: Wilmington
State: NC
Diagnosed: 06/2010
maryhahnward is on a very distinguished road

Paulette,

After your reading your post this morning I had to let it percolate in my head, and heart. It's difficult when we get into a relative comfort zone with our PALs and then it changes. I relate so very much to the relationship you and Tim have. Tom and I are very similar and have had 35 years together that we wouldn't trade for anything.

I envy your nursing knowledge and wish I could just plug it into my brain as needed.

Thank you for letting us he has had a better day. I would love to see some photos of your garden. I love gardening as well!

Mary
Closed Thread

Tags
age, back, bed, equipment, feeding, fell, food, ice, ignore, life, love, paralyzed, sleep, swallowing, tube feeding, ventilator, voice