Diagnosis
07/2014
Country
US
State
CO
City
Vail
This week has been interesting. Last week we had the wheelchair reprogrammed so that it would have more torque at the lower speed settings. This allows me to use the lower speeds in tight quarters and reduces the chances of me punching more holes in the drywall:)

Well, the first time I tried to exit the van, I had a problem.

First, the programming device was still connected to the wheelchair in a way that prevented the wheelchair from turning on. I got distracted diagnosing that, removing it and properly reconnecting the wires.

Second, I did not have the wheelchair aligned properly to disengage from the easylock easily. I figured that would not be a problem since I now have the torque cranked all the way up in the slow speed settings. Well, that was not enough.

Third, I switch to hi speed and moved the joystick all the way forward. Can anyone see where this is going?

Eventually the chair disengaged from the easylock. However, by then I had soooooo much momentum built up that I crashed into the seat in front of me. The wheelchair pinned me and especially my left leg against the seat frame. Not only that, the wheelchair was stuck as well. And, of course, I was alone:)

I eventually managed to free both me and the wheelchair. I regrouped and managed to get the wheelchair safely out of the van.

My leg was pretty torn up, but xrays were negative. It is sure taking its own good time to get better. It has been a week already. I am hoping it is better by the time we leave for Yellowstone on Saturday, and especially by the time we arrive on Monday:)

So, Max needs to add a new item to his rules.

Item 1a: Don't ram your wheelchair into immovable objects at high rates of speed.

Steve

Good Lord Steve!
Yes, Max, update the rules...as long as you abide by them Steve!
Take care of you.
God Bless, Janelle x

i got past that point. now i need to know how to get more speed out of these things. o yea watch out for that tree :)

OMG Steve, I could see every detail as you described it all!

Damn, now an injured leg, just what you did NOT need! Definitely one for the rules list Max.

I really hope it gets better enough to enjoy Yellowstone, you deserve that trip so much, but I now vote wholeheartedly - get a room, no camping!

Steve, are you related to my husband? I'm glad nothing was broken!

>Yes, Max, update the rules.

:)

I left the power on at an outdoor event up against a knee height table -- something hit the joystick and wham!

remember the rules:
------
#1 don't fall
#2 don't hang around sick people, at 1st sign of respiratory issue go to doc
#3 conserve energy, rest, never push it, try to relax
#4 stay warm
#5 take vitamins
#6 power off pwc when not driving and Don't ram wheelchair into immovable objects

ALS is about living, not dying!
-----
ok well, we take what we get and be glad for what we have :)

Whenever I go amongst people now I wear an M95 mask-thats the kind used for viruses and bacteria.
People look at me and I know they think Im contagious, but its really them Im worried about infecting me.
Does give me more room in crowds though.`
yesterday went to my gp he had a cold so we both had masks on-was sort of interesting.

>Does give me more room in crowds though.`
My kids and I are always trying to find 'benefits' of the life we now lead...that certainly does sound like one. Being crowded stresses me no end and my walking goes from okay to cr@p very quickly!

Sorry Neil, but I would have paid to be a fly on the wall at the docs!

God bless, Janelle x

Steve, maybe rule 6 should just say:

Even if it seems like a good idea at the time, don't do stupid stuff!

Glad you're mostly ok. We are purchasing van today. Driving in out and around in there is bit of a challenge!

>People look at me and I know they think Im contagious, but its really them Im worried about infecting me

great idea, necessary ion the er ...

azgirl: Guys don't do stupid stuff...we are just adventurous;)

Good luck with the van. Having a wheelchair and a van has made a world of difference for me.

Steve

>azgirl: Guys don't do stupid stuff...we are just adventurous

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back