Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I've had nothing but problems with peg feeding. I have used Jevity 1.5 and keep having to go to the bathroom. My stools are not well formed and light brown instead of darker. I've read that one complication with enteral feeding is bile issues and pale stools are a sign that bile isn't making it where it should go. Do I need to worry?.
We are going to try nutren 2.0 more caloric ally dense but no fiber. Any other suggestions?

I would try a different brand of formula, contact your nutritionist.

Janie

Gary also didn't tolerate Jevity 1.5. Peptamen 1.5 agrees with him much better, but he is also now on a Kangaroo pump at night. I supplement with some high calorie/protein added "snacks" during the day. He claims he is too full to get all five boxes during his pump feedings, but I sneak in the last one with his snacks. Peptamen doesn't contain fiber, but I give him 2 teaspoons of Benefiber (or equivalent) and 2 teaspoons of docusate sodium (stool softener like colace) in liquid form twice a day. This is after a lot of experimentation (and failures) and produces a formed but soft stool once/twice a day. It is really nice not to have to race to the bathroom, which is now what we call hovering in the sling, several times a day. Good luck with whatever you come up with!

My PALS could never tolerate any of the formulas made for tube feeding--always gave her bad diarhea. Finally switched to high calorie boost--it is 500 calories per box and medicare pays for it. You cannot get it at store but on amazon. She does 3 or 4 a day and take a tablespoon of imodium with each feeding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back