Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
UT
City
taylorsville
I am taking bids on a bathroom remodel this week. Just wondering if any of you have dealt with the taxable write off involved in doing it? I want to do it right so I can write it off.
Hell......it is more expensive than a Harley Davidson motor and transmission, it don't seem right!:shock::shock:

nope ...using the va fortuntely....our master bath is being blown up and redone. It is a smallish bathroom and will be $16k. Other bathroom is small mods and running $4k

If your medical costs are over 10% of your AGI, you can itemize the costs.

Mark,

What kind of remodel are you doing? I'm contemplating my downstairs bathroom remodel and thinking of getting rid of the tub and just doing a large walk in shower with multiple shower heads and a nice seat (or two).

Vince

That is basically what we are doing. The tub comes out. The lever to turn on the shower is as you enter and the shower heads are on the far wall. One regular and one handheld on a slidebar. Grab bars thru out. A seat and recessed areas for hygiene items.

New vanities with roll under sinks and countertops. Higher toilet with bidet seat.

> I'm contemplating my downstairs bathroom remodel and thinking of getting rid of the tub and just doing a large walk in shower

same here ....

Cost us $10K to do ours but the wife picked out all the tiles and she has great tast. Took out the double vanity and put a sink in the corner so a chair can drive under it. Had the shower changed so it is a drive in with no lip. The floor is all tiled with the same tile and continues into the shower. We used a small tile so you have more grout lines, this makes the floor so that it is not as slick and the footing is better. Enlarged the door so it is 36 inches wide going into the bathroom and made it a pocket door so it completely is out of the way. The drawback to the pocket door is that you can not mount anything on the wall of the pocket door our you drill into the door or it interferes with the sliding of the door. It turned out great though and the shower chair moves in great and transfers to the toilet are smooth..

Mark,

What kind of remodel are you doing? I'm contemplating my downstairs bathroom remodel and thinking of getting rid of the tub and just doing a large walk in shower with multiple shower heads and a nice seat (or two).

Vince

Thanks for all the ideas. Our main bathroom is only about 10'X12', so it will be a challenge to adapt it for wheelchair compatibility. I would like to move to a house that is more open and has bigger rooms. But that is not realistic because we are close to our kids and grand girls.
I am wanting to pull the bathtub, and make it a walk or roll in shower. I plan on having some grab bars strategically located. Tall toilet and all the trimmings.
One of the contractors that we will get a bid from Wednesday, specializes in handicap bathrooms and design. They have the reputation for being expensive, but that is ok if they can make it work.
Vince, I will follow up with what we choose.

My wife and I just finished installing the bidet. She did most of the work as I wasn't much good with just one hand. Works great! Had her try it out first :lol:

Hi, I've been lurking for a long time. Since we just finished the bathroom remodel I thought I'd come out and say Hey! I'm sure I can't post links yet but maybe I can point you in the right direction for something helpful. We went with the prefabricated shower unit that has the roll-over rubber gasket to keep water in. The unexpected bonus from that gasket is that you can roll over it just to execute a turn so the shower can act as part of the 5' turning radius. Our bathroom is 9x9. The shower is 4x6. Extra large center drain. I don't regret going with the prefab. The quality is nice and it saved us having to rip out the floor and subfloor to get the slope for the drain. Those gaskets are ingenious. A Tornado dryer mounted in the corner of the shower, a wall mounted sink, and a bidet. After living with it for a month we've decided to widen the door to 36", and add some floating shelves around the sink to keep the floor clear. They took everything down to the studs, and we had to relocate every single drain, toilet included. And it ended up costing about $14k. My husband is over 65 so the AGI for us is 7.5. We missed it last year but I don't think that'll happen again. When im able to post pics I will, or if you have questions! I'll do my best. The prefab is from Best Bath Systems. You can order a kit that comes complete with sliding rail shower kit, fold up seat, rod, curtain, rings, and 3 safety grab bars. It has built in ledges for shampoo, soap, etc. I hope someone finds this useful.

Our contractor suggested a 'pocket door' versus the hinged one.
I declined but now wish I'd gone with it.

Because our previous house was a split level when Tim was diagnosed we decided to sell it and build. Every room is accessible by wheelchair, and Tim has probably the largest power wheelchair there is with its nobby outdoor tires. Our master bath is 9'X15' but we have both a 5'X5' roll in shower, and 6' soaker tub, a Toto toilet with Swash 1000 bidet seat and 2 sinks. We tiled the floor and all but 1 wall so we don't worry if I get wild with the shower wand. We have a ceiling lift that allows me to offload Tim in the middle of the BR and glide him to the toilet. He stays in the sling on the toilet as he has no body control, but he can still be washed with the bidet. Or I can move him to the shower/commode chair in his sling, remove it and give him a shower. He has a shower buddy chair that tilts back and has a good head rest. We have a rain shower head that I start before rolling him in and a narrow hand held shower wand to rinse him with. The track also allowed me to put him into the tub, but he isn't a tub person and never found it very comforting. I am a tub person.

Attachments

• IMG_0171.jpg
    IMG_0171.jpg
    97.6 KB · Views: 910
  • IMG_0182.jpg
    IMG_0182.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 354
  • IMG_0191.jpg
    IMG_0191.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 410
  • IMG_0852.jpg
    IMG_0852.jpg
    119.4 KB · Views: 561
Mark there is a joke there about a Harley and a bathroom being similar i just cant put my finger on it -maybe they are both money that is flushed? :twisted: :) (remember BMW/ naked street fighter guy here).

I have been debating how much I want to do to my house to meet my needs as it seems I am moving pretty rapidly and resources are tight. Just don't know if it is worth it?

That might be worthwhile starting a thread about Pete. Which things are nice to have, which things are critical, are there cheaper ways to get the same result. ( i was thinking of that freestanding shower that has been posted here not as elegant but must be cheaper than tearing out a tub for a roll in shower. Things like that,not cheaper meaning the same things lower quality)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back