Diagnosis
01/2014
Country
US
State
NC
City
Littleton
Is anyone else using lymphatic drainage to help deal with swelling? Hubbys massage therapist did some during his last visit and I was amazed at how quickly the fluid left his feet, ankles, and legs. She's going to let me watch tomorrow and explain what she's doing so that maybe Ican do a little between his visits to her

Last edited:
Yes, we had massage most weeks and reached a point where lymph drainage was the best thing to concentrate on.

I did it badly one day and his hand looked amazing without all the fluid build up, but his elbow had this huge lump of fluid! The massage therapist helped me to learn better technique :)

Oh Tillie, I won't tell hubby about that one! I can see it all now....

He saw his PCP about the swelling and she started talking about diuretics. I remember Laurie's cautions about them, and our PT echoed those same concerns with hubby, so he's up for alternative therapies. The PCP decided to try medical compression shose first, but we're going into summer soon so I know that won't last long. It makes me wonder why lymphatic drainage is not offered more often as a treatment, instead of compression hose and diuretics.

Couldn't agree more! So many doctors are just so happy to write a prescription instead of thinking the problem through!

ROM is also really helpful as just lifting limbs up and down either on a chair or when in bed pumps the little valves in the veins and helps keep drainage happening.

Yes, my spoiled sweetie gets ROM before he gets out of bed in the morning and when he gets in bed at night (if he gets there before I get too sleepy). I tried getting him to give me 45 minutes in the middle of the day, but somehow appointments with me don't get the same respect that the PT's garner.

It worked for my husband too when he got his massages. we don't have much problem with swelling now thanks to ROM from his CNA during the day, and me at bedtime

When my wife gives me a massage it always leads to SWELLING:twisted:

Have. You been talking to BigMark? 8^)

One of the keys in moving the fluid comfortably into better spots is to make waves (pushing fluid up) where there is more flesh and less bone. So calves, not shins, for example, but you can do both sides of the thighs, but back to the underside of the feet, hands, etc.

Pete, Greg is right, you have been talking to Mark!

Thank you, Laurie. Another reason to rejoice that there's some meat left on parts of his legs!

Barbie, it's encouraging to know that ROM does periodically keeps the swelling down. My battle right now is the number of hours straight that he spends sitting up in the chair while he's working.

>When my wife gives me a massage it always leads to SWELLING

lol

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back