10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Hi everyone
I was wondering what benefits vets have taken advantage of. There's so much information to weed through to see what's available. I know there's a grant for handicap accessible vans but wondered if there other things out there that people have gotten to help make life easier. TIA!

Recommend you get a hold of your local PVA rep. They will help you with the claim and explain all the benefits for you. My experience with has shown that they are the great folks that really really know the system and are more then willing to help you out.

Mike

PVA for sure. Also take time to read slowly the sticky on this Atsugi put a lot of work into it. There is a lot to it but that is because there are a lot of benefits

STARENTE: Print out the sticky on veteran benefits and use it as a checklist. It is arranged to be read from start to finish, more or less as the disease progresses.

We used every benefit except the big housing grant. Frankly, my PALS didn't live long enough to take advantage of that.

The medical department of the VA provided most of the greatest benefits in the form of nursing assistance and equipment. The hospital bed, shower wheelchair, ramps, power wheelchair, patient lift, oxygen machines and breathing/cough assisting machines fill our living room. (We arranged everything to be out of sight of my PALS, so that it was all easily accessible, but she saw a nice, homey family room with fireplace and TV and children.)

The "business department," or VBA, approved the non-medical stuff such as the van and significant cash compensation. The money increases as the "loss of use" gets worse. For instance, a diagnosis of ALS gets a certain amount of cash, then when a hand is lost, there's more. Once a hand and two feet are useless, there's a further increase. Needing Aid and Attendance adds money, as does becoming Housebound.

Then, there's life insurance and burial reimbursement. Finally, there is a lifetime of death compensation and educational benefits for the survivors.

It's all in the sticky.

I printed out atsugi's fine work and it has been a godsend. Get the health benefits and compensation in place. Then start on his checklist. Power chair, takes six weeks from when its ordered but may take six weeks to be approved before its ordered, auto grants are automatic But it can take from 2 weeks to a few months. Ours is here and ready to be delivered. It will be 2 months. These are the easy things. The hisa grant was 2 weeks for approval but there is a new process to get the money. They estimate 45 days to get the cash. The sah grant is a process. We are 10 days from reaching the three month mark. Waiting on final approval of the architect drawings. This is apparently quick but I am quite vigilant. Once they are approved, permits can be pulled and the money requested.

I recommend you familiarize yourself with the va benefits website. You can get a good idea of what you can use and see all the forms to fill out . Your pva rep may be very helpful but I have been ahead of mine most of the time; however, they are a good place to start.

P.s. one thing pva will do is after an assessment they will automatically have your doctors fill out the disability questionaire, aid and attendance etc and submit to increase compensation payment for you. This is a great benefit and one less thing you have to do.

Thanks everyone! I forgot about the sticky. Will get on it tommorow!

i am new to all this what's a sticky?

It is a comprehensive subforum at the top of the general discussion page. They say sticky: then the title.

Gooseberry did your PVA rep do this automatically? My rep is not very proactive.....

Well, my first pva rep wasnot proactive. I was way ahead of him and constantly nagging to get things submitted. It took 4 months for compensationto be approved and then it was only because I complained to the head of the regional office.

Got a new guy when we did the inpatient assessment who is located at the hospital. He is pretty good. He did this resubmission of the questionaire automatically in concert with the head guy at the regional office. I fax a lot of things directly to the regional office. It saves days. The forms are all available online. It is important when asking for more money or a change in rating that you use a pva rep. They will dispute the claim if it isn't in your favor and the local office in st. Pete is very good

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back