Diagnosis
12/2014
Country
US
State
MT
City
Miles City
Hello Again, I've a few things I'm wondering about concerning requests I'll need to be making from my doctor for prescriptions. I ain't rich. I am insured by medicare and a AARP supplemental policy. So far it's paid 100% of my bills to this point. Also, I am told that I am not eligible for VA benefits. I served six years in the Marine Corps Reserve between 66' AND 72' AND WAS HONORABLY DISCHARGED A SERGEANT, but was never activated.

My next appointment with the Barrow Clinic is mid June. From what I've read so far here...most seem to agree that requesting a power chair takes quite a bit of time. I'm still able to walk pretty good, but I need to drag my left leg around like an anchor. I also have been noticing over the last months my balance is going fast. I've taken to using a cane which has saved me from falling on numerous occasions. Should I ask my doctor for a chair next visit?

Also, while I'm still able to get a little work done, I'm wondering about rigging my bedroom with an over head lift. I'm still 190 pounds, and my little wife who will be alone with me weighs in at only 120 soaking wet. She able, and strong, but I don't think powerful enough to jerk he around without considerable help. Would it be too soon to ask the doc to order me this type of medical equipment?

Any insight is appreciated. God Bless us all. Glenn

>Also, I am told that I am not eligible for VA benefits. I served six years in the Marine Corps Reserve between 66' AND 72' AND WAS HONORABLY DISCHARGED A SERGEANT, but was never activated

double check w/ the pva ...

Hi Glenn, sorry...but damn governments! Wayne my husband earns $50 a week over the threshold to receive help from the Australian government. With a mortgage and two beautiful children to educate...$50 does not always stretch to meet my needs.
Not really sure what the pva is that Max is referring to, but I really hope they can reverse that decision for you and your wife.
God bless, Janelle x

>Not really sure what the pva is that Max is referring to

paralyzed veterans of america ...

Thanks max. Hope they can help, Glenn.
I'm slowly learning all these...acronyms (?).
So far I know IIWII, OTOH...mmmm..I know there's a couple more but can't think what at the mo! Love them, makes it so much easier to add to things such as this forum. See, we really do learn something each day!
God bless, Janelle x

Glenn,
It's never too early to request equipment. Everyone will advise you to get it in place as soon as possible, because you never know how fast this monster can move. The chair will save your precious energy. Yes, you can get around with effort, but once you burn that energy it's gone and you don't have it for other, perhaps more rewarding, pursuits. As you've read in the stickies, with ALS conserving energy and avoiding falls are the FIRST bits of advice you need to heed. Yes to the lift also. We have a ceiling track with a lift that will pick hubby up out of his chair and move him between the bed, toliet, and bathtub. He needs it for the tub now, but I've also used it to get him up off the floor three times (he's well over 200 lbs and there is no way I could get him up otherwise). There are also portable lifts that can be rolled around an used anywhere in the house.

You are absolutely right about getting equipment in place ahead of time. Many PALS resist this--your wife is indead fortunate! You might want to review the sticky that deals with recommended equipment. There is so much...

Becky

so true Becky

good advice

... Should I ask my doctor for a chair next visit? ...wondering about rigging my bedroom with an over head lift. ... Would it be too soon to ask the doc to order me this type of medical equipment?

Ask early and often. The nature of the disease is such that the equipment WILL undoubtedly be needed, and you won't have time to wait, once you do.

Although you need 90 days of continuous active duty for benefits, I advise you to take your DD214 to your VA Medical Center and see the Eligibility office. Also, contact the Paralyzed Veterans of America to get started.

Call the clinic well before your visit in June and let them know that a power wheelchair will be on your list to discuss. That way they can make sure that you will be able to be seen that day by the right people to evaluate you, measure you etc. This may save you another trip to the clinic to have this done.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back