Diagnosis
09/2014
Country
US
State
Pa
City
Wexford
My ling capacity is now 70%, when is it a good time to use a Bipap at night?

Complicated question. Did they test you lying down too? That is important because those numbers can be lots worse. Are you having increasing fatigue or morning headaches? Have you had any kind of sleep study?
As a general rule early bipap is supposed to improve quality/ quantity of life. You might want to ask about the diaphragmatic pacer as well

Thanks for your reply. No, I was not tested lying down. Next Dr. visit I will look into that. I am waking up with headaches and feel fatigued. At this point I am trying to determine the cause of the headaches. Maybe meds

Morning headaches are often a sign of breathing issues at night. If you are not being seen soon call and ask about this. They could arrange some kind of sleep study

Blood tests could also be useful, and quicker.
CO2 from a normal venous draw or the more informative arterial blood gas will show if CO2 is being retained.

Saw a pulmonalogist today. Time for a bipap. He was talking about the trilogy. I'm ready. I used cpap many years ago for sleep apnea. So I know what to expect.
Marty

Marty, my husband also had a CPAP many years ago for sleep apnea. He hated and wouldn't use it. The Trilogy is another matter. He has gotten used to it so he no longer notices the air moving, and he finds the setting that pushes more air when he stops breathing to be very comfortable. For my part, this machine is MUCH quieter. I wake when his mask slips and air starts leaking, but once I adjust it for him (he usually sleeps through that) things get quiet again.

Will continue to suggest that those of you moving to a Trilogy (Respironics) ask about the Astral as an alternative (ResMed) on the basis of more settings that can aid synchrony (working well w/ your own breathing), better data availability/management and a lighter weight/battery ratio, as well as the ResMed platform's being generally "smoother" for many people. "Prices" as managed care defines them are similar.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back