Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Oak Harbor
My husband has brought up a delicate problem that has been developing over the last week :oops:

He is having trouble cleaning himself after a bowel movement. Not the reaching part but grasping the toilet paper and applying sufficient pressure to clean (I hope this is not TMI for everyone). At home, he is using diaper wipes which are wet enough that he doesn't need as much pressure to make it clean. But he has trouble at work holding the TP and cleaning.

He is self conscious at work about this- I bought some small packets of travel wipes but he has trouble opening the package and pulling them out. He can still sorta manage but not sure for how much longer.

So what tips and tricks do you have or did you have early on? Especially on the go when you have to go? :)

Amy

No such thing as TMI here.

What about installing a bidet at home? I have one and it helps with the stuff left behind (pretty good play on words if I do say so myself). Then it is mostly drying it, instead of applying pressure and wiping. They have very inexpensive ones at Home Depot but I would check with your local ALSA or MDA Chapter to see if they have any loaners. That is where we got ours which has a remote with heated water & dryer functions.

As for travel or out and about, I don't know. I use the hygiene wipes from Costco as they are pre-moistened and pretty inexpensive. The ones we have have a flip top lid, not a self sealing closure. My wife also puts some in a zip-loc bag which has enough between the plastic top for me to pull.

Good luck.
Doug

We also have a bidet, and it's wonderful. Just one more thing that's easier at home...

Our home bidet also has a drying cycle- makes it even easier.

Just a shout-out to Amy. We loved Oak Harbor when we lived there. Despite the "sound of freedom" overhead all day.

Depending upon where he works, they might even consider installing a handicapped accessible bathroom with a bidet washer and dryer.

>What about installing a bidet at home?

absolutely worth it, couldn't do w/o it!

>We loved Oak Harbor

beautiful place, our son married there ...

Active Forever https://www.activeforever.com/toilet-aids has some toilet paper arms that grip the paper or wipes for you as you wipe. A bidet would be great and would work when arm strength is gone, but one of these would be nice when away from home. As for me, after a nursing career involving nearly daily Code Brown's I have no trouble with someone doing the wiping for me!

Zip locks can be tough. Some types have the bigger "slider" to move that is sometimes easier than getting your fingers into the top edge. You could also leave a corner of the wipe sticking through the top. Poss he could also "station" a box of the wipes he prefers @ work?

Nothing is too much information on here. We are here to help anyway we can. So, post away anytime.

I'm noticing this issue as well. I could use my "good" hand but sure feels awkward. I ordered the bidet seat (bio bidet 1000) from ebay yesterday. I think it will be very handy :)

I'm noticing this issue as well. I could use my "good" hand but sure feels awkward. I ordered the bidet seat (bio bidet 1000) from ebay yesterday. I think it will be very handy :)

I'm not quite there yet as my "normal" hand is still doing OK, but I know it's an eventuality. I figure I'll use the other hand, tools, bidets, wet wipes, etc... as long as possible before I put my poor wife through the task of cleanup...

Of course I'd like to do what I can to minimize the unpleasantness but I honestly don't know if I'm man enough to go in for a Brazilian. :)

Maybe they have a numbing spray...

Active Forever https://www.activeforever.com/toilet-aids has some toilet paper arms that grip the paper or wipes for you as you wipe. A bidet would be great and would work when arm strength is gone, but one of these would be nice when away from home. As for me, after a nursing career involving nearly daily Code Brown's I have no trouble with someone doing the wiping for me!

ROFL.... Well, I'd have to say you've completely earned that right... ;-)

My hands are failing with my dominant right hand being just shy of useless.
The bidet (swash 1000) is a lifesaver.

>The bidet (swash 1000) is a lifesaver.

Ditto that! Clean Sense is what we got. Going w/ a Toto when we redo the master bath, like I used to have in Japan.

Blue&gold I'm with you on the awkwardness of using 'the other hand'. With the weakness on one side of the body it's just so difficult.
On the flight home from Sydney the other day my gorgeous 10 year old son Connor came with me to the loo. I could not have managed without him. Not so much for number ones but more for getting off the darn loo and straightening clothes etc. Aeroplanes are totally unequipped for the disabled.

Amy I hope the solutions on this thread are found to be useful to you and hubby.
God bless, Janelle x

>Aeroplanes are totally unequipped for the disabled

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back