Reason
CALS
Country
US
State
WA
City
Oak Harbor
So the neuro called yesterday. He said my husband's Aldolase is elevated a bit. He said he doesn't normally see this in ALS so now wants to do a muscle biopsy to r/o polymyositis. I am a bit frustrated because when he did the initial bloodwork I thought he had looked at all of the potential autoimmune causes- but he had not. The neuro still thinks it is ALS but feels like he has to eliminate all possibilities.

I got the impression from talking to the neuro (and looking on the internet) that the EMG for ALS and polymyositis were very different. The EMG is very clearly in the ALS category.

His symptoms don't really match the polymyositis (onset slower, not symmetrical, no pain, no fever, more distal, no real trunk involvement) but I guess it can look like most anything.

Anyway- have any of you had an elevated aldolase with ALS?

While I would love for it not to be ALS, I am not really interested in being on an emotional and medical roller coaster chasing endless diagnoses.

Amy

Larry's aldolase was elevated, Amy. He was offered a muscle bx earlier for other reasons -- not that. Since he was on warfarin w/ a valve graft and a muscle bx would be abn in Marfan anyway, we declined. No question that he lived/died w/ ALS. I'd not consider that a sufficient bx indication in itself.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back