Diagnosis
02/2015
Country
US
State
TN
City
CLeveland
Mom has always had bad allergies ( seasonal mostly ragweed) she had a lot of trouble breathing last night ( still no bi pap :( uggg but I am thinking allergies and the excess mucus ... She had taken Zyrtec in the past but last spring said it almost felt like she would stop breathing in the night ( she thought because of the Zyrtec sedating her) anyone have any advice ?

I am surprised that she feels like it sedates her, as it is not suppose to be sedating. Tim started to use steroidal nasal spray last year and that helped. He takes the generic form of Zyrtec as well every night.

Zyrtec knocks me out as well. I use a nasal spray called dymista. It is flonase with an antihistamine. It works very well. However, if you tip your head back right after you use it you get a metallic taste.

She might do better on generic fexofenadine (brand= Allegra), a Zyrtec cousin, or generic loratadine (aka Claritin), another cousin and available as fast dissolve form. Zyrtec has long been known as the most sedating of these. Of the nasal steroids, Nasacort is available OTC and less irritating for many than Flonase. I wouldn't start w/ the nasal combo de novo bc you don't know what ingredient is driving efficacy or tolerability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back