Diagnosis
02/2012
Country
US
State
GA
City
Thomasville
My husband has been having nausea off and on. No fever, just feeling miserable. It's complicated by his weak diaphragm, hard to vomit. I have talked with the nurse at Mayo, she doesn't think it is ALS related. She said if it persists to contact his primary doc here, but it's Easter weekend so that will have to wait. I think it's from excess mucous in his stomach. He is 100% tube fed. Any suggestions for anything he can take through the tube to settle his stomach?

Is it pure nausea? Is he feeling gassy? Could he be constipated? Is he absorbing the tube feeding?

Not gassy or constipated, Nikki. Tube feedings are normal. It comes and goes. He felt better this afternoon after taking Prilosec via tube. He had it about three days ago, but it went away until today.

Papaya juice through the tube? Or even pineapple, apple or grape (I know, it sounds weird). The fruit sugars can help settle the stomach and thin the mucus.

I was going to say lemonade...so.something a little acidic to thin and break it up. Sometimes when Steve tells me he is nauseous I hook up the peg flush tubing and a lot of gas escapes. He is surprised because he said he didn't feel gassy but with the release he feels much better.

Thanks all. I went out and bought pineapple juice. We will start with that and see if it helps!

Ginger ale or ginger tea also helps. I get migraine headaches accompanied with nausea ever couple months. I will add a couple slices of ginger, lightly crushed, while brewing my cup of tea. It makes a big difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back