Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I have mucuc at the back of my throat-bad enough. Lately when I try to eat or swallow pills this mucuc will cause me to cough and gag uncontrollably.
I have tried everything and nothing seems to stop it-any suggestions. Its getting to where I cant eat or take my medicine.

>this mucuc will cause me to cough and gag uncontrollably.

me 2 :-(

Does anybody remember the name of the mucous thinning medicine?

Well, Musinex?

I have tries Mucinex, papaya,liquids,Zyrtec et al, none of them seem to help. I have also kept humidity up in my BiPAP. If this doesn't stop soon I will need to be fed by tube only. Don't know how I will get 30 g of bran like that. It's not swallowing, it's the mucus that is screwing everything up.

Do you see a speech pathologist Neil?

I would get this checked as it may be time to stop swallowing, especially tablets.

There is options like botox injections which we never favoured attempting.

Some other home remedies for excess mucus:
- mint tea
- Lemon juice and honey hot drink
- carrot juice
- ginger, as tea or chewed
- saline spray

Limiting dust and similar antigens with HEPA filters is helpful, too. During my house mods (plaster and concrete dust, the crap from under my old carpet when they tore it up) my lungs were so clogged I thought I was getting pneumonia.

Someone suggested pineapple juice. They swear by it.

Warm lime, lemon or pineapple juice, yeah. They have different properties so all are worth trying.

Is the same mucus hanging around or does it come up and then return? And you are staying away from spices, dairy, things that can rebuild it? Are you using your BiPAP throughout? If you stay on a nasal mask, you have a better shot of moving stuff out of your throat.

yes I am using a nasal mask. It comes up with the cough assist but never seems to stop regenerating. Many of my pills are capsules or gel and cant go through the tube. Nuedexta for instance, only comes in capsule form.
My next clinic is in a month. I will talk with the speech pathologist then, assuming I can still talk.

And yes, I am staying away from mucus building foods

Do you have a suction machine? Thinking it might help.

Neil I would talk to your doctor or even your pharmacist (OK your wife may do the talking for you, CALS are there to advocate for you!), about whether the capsule can be opened and mixed with water. Also to find out if there are liquid forms of the other meds available.

I found that sometimes they would totally forget to even mention that there were liquid forms of some meds, and fail to think that if someone has swallowing issues and a peg, then meds should be prescribed to go through the peg!

aaarrgghhh mod again, I'd had such a good run too. :roll:

Sorry mods, those queues must take so much of your time.

Tillie - you should have said [medical professional] . :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back