Diagnosis
01/2008
Country
US
State
PA
City
Philadelphia
I'm a photographer based in Philadelphia and haven't been on this site in years. I posted on here shortly after my father passed away from ALS, looking to cope by doing a photography project with others who have to face the illness. Unfortunately, I wasn't ready to face this awful disease again face to face. Over five years have passed and I still am super depressed by the loss. Maybe I need to do this thing to help get over a hump?

If anyone in the northeast US would like to have my follow along with them for a day and photograph it, I'd really appreciate it. I really would like for more people to see what this truly does to not only the people who have it, but the friends and relatives of the afflicted.

Feel free to email me at [email protected] if you're interested. Thanks.

Note to members. I am allowing this because my predecessors( RIP) allowed it. Of course due diligence is indicated as always before sharing any personal identifiable information.
Dustin I am very sorry for your loss and your continued grieving. I hope you find peace within yourself soon

I would like to know what you are going to do with the photography project - will it become an exhibition, be displayed in an online gallery, be used for fund raising for ALS, be a commercial proposition? Those are just a tiny sample of possibilities and I think this needs to be clearly stated and possibly a document with some clear terms of agreement setup to sign with anyone who agrees to be a part of the project.

Just to protect any PALS that agree so that they know exactly what will then be done with images of them.

Dustin I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm just coming up to a year since I lost my husband and it's tough. Have you been to a counsellor and do you take any antidepressant medication?

I would like to know what you are going to do with the photography project - will it become an exhibition, be displayed in an online gallery, be used for fund raising for ALS, be a commercial proposition? Those are just a tiny sample of possibilities and I think this needs to be clearly stated and possibly a document with some clear terms of agreement setup to sign with anyone who agrees to be a part of the project.

Just to protect any PALS that agree so that they know exactly what will then be done with images of them.

Dustin I'm so sorry for your loss, I'm just coming up to a year since I lost my husband and it's tough. Have you been to a counsellor and do you take any antidepressant medication?

Tillie

Yeah, I should have been more explicit about what I intend to do. My apologies.

At the very least it would be an online gallery on my website. I would also pitch it to a gallery I had a solo show at in Philadelphia. I have done assignments for places like the New York Times and Washington Post, so I wanted to pitch this thing as a photo essay/potential story for some major publication.

If I would make some kind of monograph or book out of the photos, I'd definitely be donating a good portion of the profits to ALS research. It's the least I can do.

At the very least I can take some nice photos of the families and mail some prints.

Tillie, my mom can totally relate. It's still tough for her these many years out.

James R. Fenstermacher, 58, Trevorton - The Daily Item: Home

It gets, well, better I suppose. I know I went through a very rough patch within the first year or three. I'm only now beginning to feel like I can see a light at the other end of the bummer tunnel.

Dustin,
Another route would be to work with the ALSA Philly chapter, or the MDA, to recruit participants. They might also be interested in showcasing some of the results in their various communication channels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back