Diagnosis
08/2014
Country
CA
State
ON
City
Barrie
Here's an odd thought, are PALS able to donate organs after death? I am registered as an organ donor but does this exclude someone?
Vincent

You must consider the coordination. Most donations are done pretty quickly in a hospital while the body is still ventilated and blood is circulated by machine.

Instead, we registered at Mayo. Here's how that happened:
Within the hour of my PALS death at home, I called the Mayo and the funeral home. The funeral home picked up the body, coordinated with Mayo, who took the brain and brain stem. I'm not sure if any other donations could be made so late (hours) after death.

mike, do you think you have to be a patient to do the donation? my husband would like to do that, but we are not patients there any more (or anywhere for that matter!)

do you have the contact info up there you could share with me? Jax Mayo, right?

NDRI will take what you have to offer the day of death, sending a pathologist to the funeral home/crematory, for ALS research, so long as you meet their medical criteria. You can register on line. At the same time, you can still contribute whatever your local tissue bank can use.

I found a number for Jax Mayo transplants: 904-956-3309.

Specifically for ALS research, I suggest calling Dr Kevin Boylan at (904) 296-3103.

The va is running a study from boston. We were told if you are a vet the will do the harvesting , transport, etc. You have to call the va boston site doing the actual study. 1-866-460-1158 or 857-364-6748

Mike what is the chance your daughters will actually get als? Would you be considered familial now? I wonder if we all don't have genetic mutations that we just don't know about yet.

Neil since their mom had a genetic mutation their chances of getting the gene are 50 percent each. The chances of getting ALS if they have inherited the mutation are very high. Except this mutation ( c9 like mine) is being aggressively studied because it is the most common. I believe there will be a treatment and almost certainly a cure before they have to worry. Re your situation. A certain percentage of PALS who seem to be sporadic end up having c9. Some neuros are testing for this in SALS. I also think there may be a genetic vulnerability in some people that make them susceptible if other things happen. Alstdi is doing genome sequencing on a series of pals

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back