Diagnosis
06/2014
Country
US
State
Tx
City
Austin
I need to use a humidifier with my Trilogy at night to keep mucus secretions looser. Problem is, when I heat the water in the humidifier, it winds up condensing in the long plastic tube connected to the facmask. Ive tried wrapping the tube to insulate it-no luck. Any suggestions?

We never heated the water, but we did have a condensation problem.

Keep every inch of the tube up above the humidifier.

We had this problem in the summer when the AC was on. It went away in the winter when the heat was on. One of the things that seemed to help was keeping the setting of the humidifier at 2 or lower. I'd also fill it with only luke warm water instead of HOT water. As we prepare for temps to begin to again rise as we enter spring and summer, I have a plan of attack in place should the condensation again resume. We have an in-line water trap that will be at a low point so that it collects the condensation that accumulates. We have not used it yet... but have it ready and waiting.

I was amazed at how much the condensation changed the way the Trilogy worked. Once a certain threshold of condensation had accumulated, the Trilogy would not trigger correctly to requests for a breath. It was like it went into double-time mode. We've also heard that "wrapping" the tube with insulating material can help. Good luck in finding that which best works for you!

Jim

I read that you should have a water gtrap in the tubing to collect condensation. Of course we dont have that.

Neil,

I'll try to remember to get numbers off of the packaging for our water trap. I don't think I've even taken it out of the packaging yet.

Jim

We have had issues with condensation with the bipap and trilogy. I think the condensation might have something to do with the humidity. When humidity is low, I have to increase the humidifier setting. In California we have rather dry air most of the time except when it rains and I notice the condensation on rainy days. The trick is to find the sweet spot between condensation in the tube and a dry nose that bleeds easily.

Whether you have condensation issues or not, only cool water should go into a heated humidifier unit.

Neil, we put the humidifier lower than the trilogy machine. This helped keep the tubing above the humidifier. I wrapped the tube in cloth and then I tried foam insulated tubing like for pipes. It didn't work.

Also, for those of you only using BiPAP @ home or for when you are home, an S9 BiPAP is ample and accommodates ClimateLine tubing, for independent adjustment of humidity and temp. Never a condensation issue.

What is climalinetubing? Where do I get it?

Also s9!bipap vs trilogy?

ClimateLine tubing has the heating element inside the hose, for more even/controlled heat and humidity. Unfortunately, it only works w/ ResMed BiPAPs (they call theirs VPAPs) since it is also made by ResMed. It comes in two diameters, depending on whether you prefer slim or wider (for higher pressures).

The S9 ST-A VPAP does everything the Trilogy does except it cannot be used if you "vent" (have a trach) and does not have an internal battery so if you want to take it out, you would need to buy a battery separately. Still, people like GB are using one, not always knowing if they can/will vent. The algorithm for the ResMed is smoother, quicker to respond to volume needs and quieter in my CALS experience. But GB has compared the two as a PALS so I will leave this to him.

I used a trilogy for just a weekend, so I can't comment intelligently.

Sorry GB, I meant the AVAPS (cousin to Trilogy) that perhaps you could comment on.

I no longer can get the avaps adjusted right. THe new ST-9A goes with me everywhere now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back