Reason
Friend was DX
Country
US
State
indiana
City
indianapolis
I have a unique question regarding financial aid or help I have a friend who was diagnosed a couple of years ago He has a family of 6 in his household Because of the health insurance options were so high he opted out of insurance for himself that pertained specifically to his ALS Unfortunately there are some health care needs that are needed to help him with everyday struggles He is not on disability as he is still working He is in need of braces and I wanted to know if there are any agencies that help with full or lowering costs of these. Can he been seen in the clinics at a reduced cost? Thank you for any help you can pass on

Since pre existing conditions are no longer allowed to be considered in pricing insurance I do not think I understand you correctly? He is insured with an exclusion for ALS? That does not seem right. That changed last year. And the long term answer is to get insurance that will cover him appropriately. He should speak to a social worker at clinic or at your local ALSA chapter. It is very locally dependent otherwise. Sometimes the ALSA chapters have some grants. If his clinic is an MDA clinic there may be help there ( my MDA clinic does not seem to help but I have hear others do) for a single thing you might look into Stu's ALS guradian angels.

Last edited:
It is also my understanding that if diagnosed with ALS there is only a 6 month waiting period for Medicare. I have a friend from our support group who is waiting on that.

Doug

But he is still working so not eligible for ssdi which you need for medicare

Because his family insurance costs were high(over 1,000 a month) He looked for other insurance. He had a lot of claims in his insurance that he was having to fight. I think many of us can understand the frustration working with insurance and the hoops you have to go through with getting them to pay sometimes He is a minister and there is a network of insurance options within the ministry community I think it being independent, it was cheaper to not include the ALS.

Nikki, I can't imagine how overwhelming it is in your family to have the ALS so prominent in your family history. But the support and knowing full well what it all entails probably eases some first time anxiety we are all experiencing

Terri, in re braces and such, there is a mobility ministry in our city, and possibly in yours, that keeps a donation closet for those who need something like that and cannot pay. Usually your city or state has a page of low-income resource links that will include organizations like that. Or he might call the senior center, city/state senior agency, places like that.

Is there a local ALS or MDA association nearby? My insurance wouldn't cover my AFO unless you're diabetic. The ALS rep is trying to get some my size.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back