Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
Surprised nobody has mentioned it yet. Best actor went to the guy the played Stephen Hawking, and best actress went to a woman with Alzheimer's.

Eddie said this Oscar belonged to Hawking and all the other sufferers of ALS. He promised to keep it and polish it for us. I couldn't hear his actual words.

In past years, I often wondered what was worse to go first: the mind or the body. Still not sure.

To top that off ...

I'm not sure I caught it correctly but when Julianne Moore was accepting her award she said that someone associated with the movie had ALS.

My sister was in an accident at the age of 15, which left her parallelized from the waist down. Fourteen years later she was diagnosed with bladder cancer and had to have a hysterectomy. Unknown to us during the surgery & afterward she was given Haldol, which a very power drug to treat Psychosis and other mental disorders. When Debbie woke up from the surgery she didn't recognize us and this continued for a few days. There would be brief times when she would recognize one of us and during those brief times she would ask us to get in her hospital bed thinking it was a car, and go for a ride with her and other off the wall stuff. This was traumatic for us as her family, to know that we were not only going to lose her to this cancer, but for her to lose her mind was worse. For her not to realize that she was loved by many and that we were there for her was unbearable for us. Thankfully my parents knew something wasn't right, that Debbie shouldn't have lost her mind just from having a hysterectomy, so they asked for all the drugs she was on and had been given. Once they found out that she was being given Haldol, they demanded that she be taken off of it and her doctors took her off of it. Within no time Debbie returned to her normal self and we had her back. I think from that experience it is better to keep our sanity and as much of our brain function as possible. We would not of known some of Debbie's wishes and concerns if my parents wouldn't have found out about the drug. She passed away at the age of 30.

I understand though your concern Graybeard, for I too have wondered that now with having ALS and knowing whats in store for us. I remind myself tho of Debbie and what that was like. I would not want to put my family through that and I would want my voice to be heard in any possible means. We have a hard disease to deal with that's for sure.

Yes, the writer/co-director of the Alzheimer's film has ALS. She alluded to the fact that he opted to continue in film rather than some other bucket list.

'Still Alice' Co-Director Richard Glatzer Hospitalized With Severe Respiratory Problems

Richard Glatzer, who co-wrote and directed the Oscar-nominated Alzheimer’s drama Still Alice, remained hospitalised on Sunday after he suffered severe respiratory problems and was rushed by ambulance to a Los Angeles-area hospital on Friday.

Wash Westmoreland, Glatzer’s husband and his directing and writing partner on Alice, posted at noon Sunday on Facebook that Glatzer’s condition had improved after he went into cardiac arrest.

Westmoreland also wrote that they are communicating via eye movements and plan to watch the Academy Awards from the hospital on Feb. 22.

“Not so glamorous but I wouldn’t have it any other way. And Richard will be alive to see it,” he said. Glatzer was in 2011 diagnosed with ALS, also known as Lou Gehrig’s Disease.

Still Alice co-director Richard Glatzer dies aged 63

Richard Glatzer, the film-maker who directed Oscar-winning movie Still Alice using only an iPad app to communicate, has died. Glatzer, 63, had been diagnosed with ALS – the neurological condition often referred to as Lou Gehrig’s Disease – in 2011 but continued to work alongside husband and long-time collaborator West Westmoreland, even when he was unable to communicate other than through one finger.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back