Diagnosis
10/2017
Country
US
State
NJ
City
Northern
Today I heard that my dad is starting to experience his hands feeling "froxen" where he cants move them for a few seconds then they release. Would this be considered a cramp or the onset of paralysis of the muscle? This is our first real limb onset symptom :(.

I have this happen all the time. I do not think it is paralysis just a "spastic" action.

Thanks Pete. We go to the clinic next Friday. Every new thing brings a new wave of anxiety. Hope you're doing ok.

Carpul-tunnel also causes that sensation. At my first emg session I was surprised to be told that I had it in both wrists. No symptoms at all.

My Chris had no carpal tunnel.

But as his hand function began to really decline (after many months of weakness), he would have times like that, where suddenly he could not move his hands at all, then after a bit he could move them again. They were fairly useless as they were so weak, but he had been able to move them.

He had a large amount of spasticity in his hands and arms, so I suspect it is like Pete says.

Sadly another sign that the nerves are very close to completely giving out to those muscles. Before they give out there is so much 'static' involved when trying to send messages to the muscles that they don't respond correctly as they 'hear' the static, and so they contract or lengthen in the wrong order at the wrong time and we see the result as spasticity.

Steve has this too. His hands cramp almost clawlike. I have to straIghten his fingers. He got some splints.to wear at night which are supposed to help.

gooseberry the splints really do help a lot - if your PALS will wear them!

They gave us one. The second just came in the mail. We shall see. He is quite stubborn

There is some thought that it might be best if your hands get stuck in a partially clenched position. If you still have some arm movement it can be more functional than extended. Not to say splints are bad as clenched has its own problems

The clenched or clawed hand is painful due to the tension.

Also, it is very difficult to properly clean, and even more so to property dry a clawed hand and so fungal infections become an issue when the weather warms up.

For us, massage and then splints would relieve the tension and cause a lot of general relief and the hands could then well cleaned and dried.

That is why I said partially clenched Tillie and why I said it has its own problems. That is not particularly uncomfortable but you do have to be diligent about cleaning and it is harder than if they are outstretched but it can allow a tiny bit of independence for a while longer I have seen this in a family member so I am not just theorizing but speak from experience they were able to continue to do things like eat a cheese stick or similar shaped food once it was placed in their hand and use a tissue for 6 months after their hand went. They were upper limb onset moderate progression

Last edited:
I was just commenting on what some of those problems were as people not in this situation yet may have wondered, rather than disagreeing with you Nikki :)

They are only having steve wear the splints at night. They think that will help during the day. I don't know...I am just the bearer of news.

This disease sure does effect every little inch of us, doesn't it : (

>This disease sure does effect every little inch of us, doesn't it : (

Ditto that!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back