Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
Here's what I sent to my extended family of two dozen or so, and only one response. Why?
-----------------
This was my Jan. 2014 note to you all. Scroll down for the update.

Without Good Health ….

When it became obvious I was losing a pound a week last year, I joked that I would write a diet book. Turns out it had already been written, and was one of the few books I had read as a child, “The Lou Gehrig Story.”

Yes, at age 73, I have just been diagnosed with ALS: a death sentence. To prolong my limited health, I have to lose no more beyond the 60 pounds I have lost in the last 15 months.

Those of you who have heard me speak know my voice has turned raspy and weak. That’s one sign. Another is uncontrollable crying, so don’t be surprised if I go silent or cry the next time we talk.

Except for this, I have been in perfect health, with blood tests good enough for a 19 year old, and a good neighbor who dragged me out for a hike and exercises every morning. I had fully expected to be productive another 20 years. Now it may be at most a couple of years before my body becomes useless.

Ronna has always said she wants to go first, so she won’t have to clean out my garage. Our sons, Rex and Ross will help clean out my garage, now that I have a real deadline.

Ronna will still have my voice to haunt her, as Greybeard, our Congo African Grey parrot, is bonded to her. I’m his rival, so he learns all his words from me, and sounds exactly like me.

Advantages of ALS:

No physical pain.
My alleged mind should be intact to the end.
I am under doctor’s orders to eat all I can.
I know about how long I have and how I will go.
I have time to calmly put my affairs in order, and to ease my family’s transition.
I am free to break any law. What can they do to me?
I still have time for a last fling.
Most of all, I get to hear the good things people say to me without the negatives.

------------------

It's been over a year since I wrote the above. I knew little about the disease when I wrote that. I found a Forum a few months ago, and I've learned a lot about the disease from others. Because of my 60 lb weight loss, the neurologist didn't give me much time last year; weeks or months, not years.

ALS is called Motor Neuron (nerve) Disease in other countries. The neurons die. Veterans have twice the rate of ALS as civilians, so it is considered a service connected condition. VA has been great; much better than civilian care I was getting before a widow told me about VA last year. She has become a close friend - as close as I can get with someone in Seattle. She came to visit last summer.

MY CONDITION
Ronna, Rex and Ross have largely taken up the slack through my transition from Mr. Fixit to Mr. Helpless. I can still drive, but prefer others to do it. Besides, somebody is needed to push me in my portable wheelchair. Friends and neighbors pitch in, too. Rex and Julie live 80 miles away in Phelan, so are here only on the occasional weekend.

Since going to direct stomach feedings last May, I have regained 13 of the 66 pounds I lost, so my prospects for more time got better. Eating and drinking are highly overrated.

ALS strikes every victim differently. So far, I have been lucky to escape the spasms, pain, dementia and emotional suffering so many have.

My words have become unintelligible, so family has to interpret, or I use a portable computer for text to voice.

I can still walk, hunched over due to back pain, but not walk far, and my arms and hands are pretty much intact, although very weak. I still go up and down the stairs, but the risk of a fall is real.

My ability to breathe is on the decline. The voluntary nerves to my diaphragm are dead. When the day comes I can no longer breathe on my own, I have the choice of a tracheostomy, which would require somebody to be within earshot at all times for a simple procedure a few times a day. The remainder of my neurons would continue to die at some rate. ALS is a cruel disease.

PLANNING
We have the plans almost ready for a new garage with a handicap room over it, and a wheelchair lift. Otherwise, it's a day at a time. I still have a strong will to live.

FUTURE
Some stem cell research shows promise for future victims.

Best to you all, my dear family.

Ralph

>Here's what I sent to my extended family of two dozen or so, and only one response. Why?

Ralph, they probably can't think off what to say :-(

I am in a similar place and sent mine the abc's of als on youtube -- it may help

Max - Monday, February 09, 2015 3:41:48 PM

ALS sucks, but It Is What It Is ... and someone else has it worse so I'll try not to complain today!
onset 9/2010, diagnosed with ALS by Stanley Appel 8/29/2013

Dear Ralph,
Wow! Objective, realistic with humor intermingled in your message!
As to your question about why only one response, you know the answer. What do people say? And how can you respond? None of us are very practiced at dealing with terminal illness as nasty as ALS. ( guess those of us who are PALS and CALS have had to learn how to deal, fumbling as we go.)
Kudos to you for seeing the bright side, or at least using enough humor to make it easier for others. And if you don't get responses, suspect there are tears being shed behind closed doors. Hugs to you and your family. Donna

Ralph, you were so wonderfully open with them. I have to agree that they must not know how to respond. One would think that openess would be a sign that it's ok to talk about the elephant in the room, but that dosen't seem to be the case. I fear that we've shocked people on more than one occasion by talking matter-of-factly about the realities of this diagnois. Isn't it strange that we wind up being concerned about their sensibilities?

I sent a FB message to a relative after hubby's diagnosis and never even received an acknowledgement. I have no idea why and I can't bring myself to ask. Every now and then she "likes" a post mine or makes a comment and it just tears me up. My dad says ask her, but I just can't. Having admitted that, I wonder if you can send them a new update and add a note that you understand how difficult this is for them to process and that you'd like them to feel as open with you as you have been with them. Perhaps that would help them deal.

I have to admit that before THIS came into our lives I always wondered how to respond to people suffering aweful grief. Now I know--with honesty and warmth.

Like Max already said, some people don't know what to say. My father hasn't even mentioned it to me, he hasn't even contacted me in the year since diagnosis, but I know he knows.

Doug

My older daughter has not called me even though I know she cares. I was wondering about that and hurt by it, I just found out her mother has stage 4 cancer, so she is dealing with 2 parents dying at the same time. How terrible for her, she probably has no idea what to say or do. At least her mother has a 15-20% chance, I'd take those odds any
day.

GB, it is true, many people cannot deal. I sent a frank card yr before last and got zero f/b. Later, people said things as if I had never sent it. You are reaching out; the rest is up to them.

Graybeard,
ALS puts us all in a tough position of figuring out how to control the message. We have to decide if we are going to tell people that we are ill, that tests are being run but it looks bad. Then deciding who we will tell and how much info we should give is tough. I think you did a great job of balancing information about ALS and sharing some your feelings. I am sorry you didn't hear back from more people.
We had some expectations of how friends and family would react to our situation and have been disappointed a lot. However, I know that it is so hard for people to know what to do and say. Some people do nothing because they are so scared they will mess up. Even on this forum, I hesitate to reply because I'm so scared I will say the wrong thing or be misunderstood. I think a lot of people would be so willing to help, come by for a visit, or just send a chatty note or email if they just felt confident that they were helping and not making matters worse.
I say you should keep sending emails whenever you choose and maybe more people will be in touch! You might mention that you enjoy being on the computer and enjoy staying in touch through email.

It seems to be far too common GB.

The day my Chris told his younger daughter I was truly stunned. She knew that he was seriously ill and that we had been having many tests for many months and he was only getting worse and had already stopped working. In fact she had been working in the cafe for him and was now out of work herself.

She was 'living with us', which as an 18 yr old meant she popped home a couple of nights a week. So she pops home, and goes to her room, grabs some things and as she goes to race past he says he needs to tell her something.

So she stops and he says that he has been diagnosed and it is MND and cannot be treated. She says - ok cool.
There's a pause for some seconds that seemed like minutes and she says - well I've got to go now my bf is waiting in the car. Hugs him and leaves.

There ya go, every time you think you've seen it all ...

GB,
Agree with Max it just maybe too hard for some to discuss with you. My kids talk to my wife all the time about my progression, but very little to me. Lately this has changed a little cause I bring it up with them.

Mike

GB, I'm sorry to hear this. Fortunately, my closest friends have been great, but there are others I've never heard from after they heard of my diagnosis. Perhaps we should mention in our updates that we'd be glad to answer any questions they have and say that we hope they will be in touch. Maybe saying that we know its difficult/awkward to talk about, that we understand they don't know what to say -- and that they don't need to say anything specific, but just stay in touch.

Good points, Nuts and TQ. I'll add those when sending to friends.

Thanks all for the responses. You make me appreciate how lucky I am.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back