Diagnosis
12/2013
Country
US
State
Ca
City
Surf City
I wonder how many of the PALS here have had concussions? We all know the prevalence of ALS and concussions in NFL.

I fell backwards onto concrete when I was eleven, and was out of it for 8 hours. They said my brain MRI was normal two years ago when they were searching for the cause of my weight loss.

Not I. Sorry

No concussion here. I was however a very intense endurance athlete, and I am wondering if the link that you are looking for might be people who push themselves beyond their limits and cause some form of nervous system issue?

In my case I also suspect drinking 5-10 coke zero or diet cokes a day for over 10 years may have been a HUGE contributor.

I recently saw some statistics on head injuries in football players and neurological problems. Risk of neurological issues later was higher for those who played positions that put them most in harm's way. I can't remember the details and whether they looked especially at ALS. I do remember that they thought one concussion was likely not too problematic but repeated ones were.
For me no concussion but then I know why I have this!

I've had a series of internal brain traumas. I have an arterioveneous malformation, which is basically a a tangle of blood vessels in my brain that would continue to grow over the course of my life. That could be disastrous. It was the size of a pringle, rounded, when i was 17. So they start to close it up, over which i had a hemhorrage, a transient stroke, and a full stroke. All from the surgeries. But i was having seizures from the AVM. So six to one, half a dozen to the other. I would not want to live my life with seizures. On the other hand I wasn't even aware that was a risk. (needless to say, I blame the head injuries for ALS ).

2 concussions playing high school football. Also very active and athletic. You should see me do the 100 yard dash now 10.9..months

I think this is a question on the national register. Be interesting to see the database on this.

I have had many concussions - playing football, basketball and also baseball. Also got one when I got hit by a truck (going vey slow) and also riding my skateboard. I am pretty sure those have affected me adversely, at least that is what I blame it on when I get flummoxed while talking :)

Doug

I had a bad rock climbing accident when I was 25. That resulted in a brain contusion, which knocked me out of work for over a year.

That was over 30 years ago. I have no indication that accident is related in any way to my diagnosis.

Steve

I fell off of a roof of a 2 story building when I was 4 yrs old and suffered a concussion, but that was 53 yrs ago and have no idea if it's related to my diagnosis. I have never played football and was never really into sports in general, but remained active in other areas.

I had wondered about Iron deficiency? I used to be anemic, had been since I was 12-13yrs old and in 2001 I got pretty ill to where it landed me in the ER. Turned out that my body was completely depleted from iron. Now with the ALS I have come across different articles suggesting that Vitamin B-12 (methylcobalamin) could be greatly beneficial to ALS patients in slowing down the progression of it. That does make me wonder if what happened to me in 2001 could have any relation to me getting ALS. Could there be a connection? Have any of you gone thru anything like this?

Man I have had too many concussions to even list.....but I will for the sake of time I will only share some. Little league baseball, I was an outfielder and during the last game of the season I tried to catch the ball in my mouth.....but ended up having my forehead dented instead.
I have been in 3 bad car accidents, two of which I crushed the steering column and put my head through the windshield. The other one was in a brand new 1980 corvette my buddy had just bought, he rolled it several times with me in the passenger seat. I was pinned in until the paramedics arrived, it was scary as hell.....I could smell gasoline and thought the car was going to catch fire or explode, it was the longest 15 minutes of my life.
Been in 3 motorcycle wrecks without a helmet (I usually wear one now days). I hit a small deer right outside of Sturgis. I probably should not have survived it. And I am not gonna tell you about the other 2 wrecks because the Warden might see this.
I saved the bar fights till last, and are too plentiful to even remember, but I will share a few of the highlights. I took a beer pitcher to the head one time, this was back when the pitchers were thick glass....I had to take a knee on that one because it rang my bell big-time. The good news is that they didn't make me pay for the pitcher!
I also had a pool cue busted over my head once, I couldn't walk straight for a few days.
Sometimes being a Neanderthal can have it's advantages, or disadvantages as it were.
I could go on and on about concussions, but I will stop here to protect the innocent:shock:

Good gracious Mark. You led a very eventful life.

to many for me lol.

Forgot to mention, my symptoms appeared directly after my stroke. I had stroke symptoms confused with with ALS symptoms for years.

>You should see me do the 100 yard dash now 10.9..months

Neil, I can now do a 10 minute mile for 10 miles ... if my m300 has a full charge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back